• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cormorants (1 Viewer)

If there was a ranking for birds, the Neotropic Cormorant would probably occupy the lower parts of it. They are very common at its range whanever there's open water with fish in it. They are a bit ugly, with it's all black color. Experienced twitchers may not even raise the binocular to take a look at them. I, too, never really gave much attention to them... even though I'm not a twitcher.

There's a lake close to home where a lot of them fish and come to roost every evening. Other aquatic birds roost here too, like Egrets and Herons, Whistling-Ducks, Anhinga and some others. Watching the birds arrive is quite a spectacle, as dozens come together and fly in great speed over the lake, suddenly diving and making a "circle approach" to land on its favorite night perch - usually a tree or bush by waterside.

Unlike the Anhinga, the Cormorants are very sociable birds. They love to gather in great numbers and even fish together, probably in cooperation to make the best out of fish schools, much like some predatory fish, like Tuna, would do.

Yesterday I went to this lake and did some photos of them. It was very enjoyable to watch as group after group arrived from distant fishing waters and then interacted like fishermen telling stories at the bar. As usual, here are some photos:

3523443665_7cb04f9246_o.jpg

3523443861_4a92009ca1_o.jpg

3528818886_5d9fb96bdb_o.jpg

A Capibara family swam by.

biguas.jpg

My favorite shot of the day. It shows how fast these guys fly.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back