• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornell Lab sub $600 8x42 review (5 Viewers)

It's very possible especially if they have polycarbonate lenses. When I used my glasses with poly lenses for the first time I noticed CA looking up at a telephone pole (no binocular). A bird landed on top and I looked up and saw CA on the side of the pole. This was coming out of the eye place wearing my new glasses. Plus the bino has to be aligned properly with your eyes while wearing the glasses or you'll see considerable amounts of CA (from my experience).
So it is due to the polycarbonate lenses versus having glass lenses. That sounds reasonable.

Implicit in the term “binocular” is a single instrument used with both eyes.

Try explaining that to Joe Six-pack some time.
I guess I’m a Joe six-pack then. I and just about every birder I know calls a single instrument with two tubes and one focuser their binoculars or their binos or their bins, not their binocular, bino, or bin. Sure, it might under some definitions be wrong, but it is prevailing usage, causes no confusion, and it just is what it is.

In English “my jeans” can mean one pair with two legs but in Spanish, which has borrowed the word jean from English, it has to be singular if you are referring to one pair at a time - ie, “manché mi jean” not “manché mis jeans” unless you really did stain multiple pairs. Spanish speaking friends and family then end up saying things like “I stained my jean” in English but everyone manages to understand even if everyone knows it is a small error. It doesn’t cause misunderstanding so there is usually not much to be gained by interrupting a conversation to correct it. The vast majority of my errors in other languages go uncorrected as well for the same reason.

Something like the misuse of nonplussed or penultimate by people attempting to sound cleverer than they are is far more grating.

You have to buy quality glasses with glass lenses. I use glasses that correct my astigmatism and distance correction and find they are way better than the no line bi focal.

As a result of the Oregon 4 PC Oasis being at the top of the budget table and because the review came out in time for holiday season purchases, we saw a 10x increase in sales volume for that model in the US so from our point of view, reviews can very much be useful :)

As a result of the Oregon 4 PC Oasis being at the top of the budget table and because the review came out in time for holiday season purchases, we saw a 10x increase in sales volume for that model in the US so from our point of view, reviews can very much be useful :)
Guess that explains why they're out of stock!

The Cornell Lab reviewed some additional models and added them to the 8x42 review, ranking them among the original reviews.
Cornell Lab's review of the Oberwerk Sport ED 8x42 contains a technical flaw. They state "Eye relief on the low side", only based on the specified 15mm, but they don't pay attention to the fact that it is "usable eye relief" (Oberwerk is one of the only ones to make this available). They are comparing to the technical, non-usable, specified by other companies. Oberwerk's European site shows the 18mm technical eye relief, while the global site shows the 15mm usable eye relief that Cornell Lab used. It's also Oberwerk's own fault, which should standardize this information better, they must be losing sales due to a simple error like this.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back