• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cornwall sea watching (1 Viewer)

GiG

United Nations
I recently went on holiday to Cornwall, in St.Ives and had many early mornings going up to the 'Island'. There were many Kittiwakes, Fulmars, the odd Guillemot and Great Skua but the highlight was the sight of a few hundred Manx Shearwaters. It has been something I've read about in journals etc but did not expect to see. One day the Shearwaters were in three large groups around St.Ives bay all on the water with some flying off and alighting in one of the other groups.

The final day of the holiday was a boat trip to Seal Island, and on the outward journey the Manx Shearwaters were flying past the boat, some occasionally dropping into the water - a fantastic sight. I also had some good views of three Black-throated Divers.

gi2012

Hi, Gi. There were very large numbers of Manxies around the Lands End peninsula recently. I've never known that to happen before at this time of year, so try it again next year and you may be disappointed! Wonderful birds, aren't they? Were the divers in summer plumage?

Hi Jason, being from Suffolk I've only seen Manxies a couple of times and fairly distant. To see them shear across the waves - especially the first week of May which was very windy - was an amazing sight that I've only seen on TV before and always had hoped to see, and the fact of seeing them without expecting to was also a bonus. Two of the three divers were in summer plumage. It sounds like a good excuse to go back on holiday next year!

gi2012

I was also privileged to see some huge flocks of Manxies passing the steamer boat on the way to Lundy Island on Saturday. I reckon that Shearwaters are one of the most romantic birds we can see. They have such wonderful flight action, so effortless. They were my first Devon Manxies 'which was nice'.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back