• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cory's vs Scopoli's Shearwater - New England (1 Viewer)

Parrots

United States
Hello,

I was recently on a boat trip where another birder on board photographed a Scopoli's Shearwater.

There were several Cory's Shearwaters around at the time (he noticed the Scopoli's in photos later), and I photographed one or two of them. I've added the photos below. Do either of these look viable for Scopoli's? There seems to be a fair amount of black on the primaries, at least for the first bird (suggesting Cory's?), but I figured it would be worth posting to double check.

Thanks for the help.

Bird #1:
DSC_3337.jpg
DSC_3339.jpg
DSC_3333.jpg
DSC_3336.jpg

Bird #2:
DSC_3353.jpg
DSC_3354.jpg

Good photos and I feel they are actually of the same bird.

The white extending down the outer primaries appears actual and so it feels fine for Scopoli's. The bill also seems quite slim as a supporting feature

Brian

Good photos and I feel they are actually of the same bird.

The white extending down the outer primaries appears actual and so it feels fine for Scopoli's. The bill also seems quite slim as a supporting feature

Brian
I hesitated to reply: I agree with you that it looks good with extensive white and thin bill. This:

Scopoli’s Shearwater - The Sound Approach

suggests that the 2 black marks on the wing are indicative of Cory's although there's doubtless some individual variation.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back