• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Costa Rica in July? (2 Viewers)

nkbj

Niels Kristian Bech Jensen
Denmark
It seems that most birdwatchers visit Costa Rica in December-April, but I am forced to travel in July due to work. Is that an impossible month for birdwatching? Is there any parts of the country, that I should avoid (or the opposite) during the summer?

Regards,
Niels Kristian

I was just there in July/August. Not impossible at all, it was wonderful!

Weather was totally fine (well, hot and sweaty, as it is in the tropics). Of course it rains, but in 4 weeks we had maybe 2 mornings that were really difficult to bird because of rains, not more.

We made a big loop and passed basically all topographic and climatic zones, and there is not a region I would recommend to avoid.

One down-side is certainly that north-American migrants are absent. Not a big deal for us, as we were new to the region and plenty exciting things to see with the resident birds. On the plus side, summer is main season for turtles (and tourists!) in Tortuguero and Whales in Uvita.

Quetzales don't have their long tails in the summer, but are an amazing sight even without.

Here some impressions:

I was just there in July/August. Not impossible at all, it was wonderful!

Weather was totally fine (well, hot and sweaty, as it is in the tropics). Of course it rains, but in 4 weeks we had maybe 2 mornings that were really difficult to bird because of rains, not more.

We made a big loop and passed basically all topographic and climatic zones, and there is not a region I would recommend to avoid.

One down-side is certainly that north-American migrants are absent. Not a big deal for us, as we were new to the region and plenty exciting things to see with the resident birds. On the plus side, summer is main season for turtles (and tourists!) in Tortuguero and Whales in Uvita.

Quetzales don't have their long tails in the summer, but are an amazing sight even without.

Here some impressions:
Agree with @dalat, a great place even in the "green" season - just expect a daily downpour to temper activity temporally.

The Queztal's we saw were in their full attire in mid-July.

I have not visited CR in that season, but Panama certainly had more days where birding was out all day than it would have had in mid winter. One important thing to be aware of: birding close to the airport you fly into should be at the end of the trip and not at the start, because strong rain in summer and early fall can make travel impossible, and you do not want that at the end of a vacation when you feel you have to get to the airport on time.
Niels

Users who are viewing this thread

Back