• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Could migration routes be traced back to where birds evolved in ancient times? (2 Viewers)

People almost universally use the word "adaptation" when talking about evolution through natural selection, when the actual process is abaptation. Organisms don't adapt to different conditions, rather the ones with heritable traits best fitted to those conditions are more successful. The concept of "adaptive migration" seems flawed on it's face, and several of your assertions seem extremely dubious.
Hey DMW - how you doing!? I´m a bit confused with what you are on about tbh....

Of course natural selection is a mechanism and cause of evolution...adaptations (in this context) are often behavioural traits that make an organism better suited to its environment/s....i.e. migratory change which can happen in some pioneering species or individuals within populations.

It would be more constructive if you detailed what referenced points I made that you disagreed with exactly?

What seems flawed? and what seems dubious? For instance here are some clear adaptive migratory examples in response of climatical change: https://fse.studenttheses.ub.rug.nl/28339/1/Essay_migration_P.Otte.pdf - these are not evolutionary these are adaptive migratory techniques.....or not!

So you disagree that adaptive migrations in birds exists?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back