• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Covid lack of tourists collapses wildlife protection in Asia, Africa and South America (1 Viewer)

jurek

The collapse of international tourism due to efforts to slow spread of the coronavirus has led to heavy revenue losses for many wildlife parks, cutting budgets and threatening longer-term closures.

More than half of protected areas in Africa had been forced to halt or reduce field patrols and anti-poaching operations. A quarter of protected sites in Asia have had to reduce conservation activities.

Bush meat hunting has also increased significantly due to both patrol reductions and growing poverty.

A comment from me: this also shows how disastrous to biodiversity would be drop of international tourism due to enforced carbon neutrality, or due to shrinking of the middle class in the West.

Very predictable. All those employed in any way with the ecotourism initiatives will be struggling. Some tour companies have been highlighting how their local guides have lost their incomes but it goes a lot further than that. The sooner we can get back to travelling the better.

A comment from me: this also shows how disastrous to biodiversity would be drop of international tourism due to enforced carbon neutrality, or due to shrinking of the middle class in the West.
Yes, I always struggle with the idea that by travelling I am on one hand contributing to the destruction of the very thing I love, but on the other hand I am locally creating an incentive to protect it.

Then again, they don't make that much money off me because I don't use guides, don't stay in expensive eco-resorts and don't use private transportation (I use cheap local busses or (preferably!) walk/ backpack where feasible!). Of course, this in turn lowers my eco-footprint, but everything is small change compared to the impact of the international flights. I still pay entry fees for the parks though and I bring in money by eating in restaurants and staying in budget accommodation (or preferably camp), but this has the disadvantage that it is often not obvious that these revenues are linked to eco-tourism, as it would be when hiring guides and staying in expensive eco-resorts.

But hey, 55 days Ecuador for a total cost of €1480 (including international flights):

Or 53 days Ethiopia for a total cost of €1586 (including international flights):

Or 30 days Thailand for a total cost of €938 (including international flights):

etc

So birding is not just for the rich! :)

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back