• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Crested serpent eagle or Oriental honey buzzard? (1 Viewer)

abdrahmankazim

Malaysia
Greetings, all.

I'm a student from Malaysia and am new to the ornithological field. Recently, I've received some parasite samples from a vet who's working on exotic animals. The vet said that the identity of the host, of which the parasites were isolated from, was the crested serpent eagle (Spilornis cheela). Unfortunately, the vet did not provide any photos to prove whether it was truly a crested serpent eagle, so I had to contact the owner (with permission) if he can provide any photos of the eagle. Upon reviewing the photos that the owner gave me, the eagle in question did not not look like a crested serpent eagle but more like the Oriental honey buzzard (Pernis ptilorhynchus). But this is due to my extremely limited knowledge of bird identification, as I just compared both species based off the images in the Internet.

That said, I would very much appreciate if you could give your opinions on the species of the bird. Attached in this thread are the photos that the owner gave me.
Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-04-11 at 12.00.09.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-11 at 12.00.09.jpeg
    54.3 KB · Views: 46
  • WhatsApp Image 2023-04-11 at 12.01.22.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-04-11 at 12.01.22.jpeg
    51.9 KB · Views: 46
Honey Buzzard...A Crested Serpent Eagle would have ripped their face off.

Seriously- now a Crested Serpent Eagle would be more robust, with well marked plumage and yellow facial skin.

Hi, Dimitris!

Thanks for the help. Yes, I thought it was a honey buzzard too because there's no yellow colour on the mouth, which is usually seen in the crested serpent eagle.

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back