• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cuba but not as we planned it (2 Viewers)

Thanks everyone.

Our time with Ernesto had pretty much gone perfectly except for the Zapata Wren we had seen all of our targets, so we decided not to hire a car and do the area ourselves. We did wonder if we hadn’t been able to make the trip with Ernesto work how many birds we would have missed. Although I had downloaded the calls and had rough spots for a few of the major birds I think I would have missed at least 5 or 6 assuming we could have still have stayed at one of the two Casas (details for Casa Ana are adrian@gmailcom +53 45987544) but even that wouldn’t have been certain as our rudimentary Spanish might have failed to get us accommodated.

As I said earlier in reply to Dave staying in Casa's and travelling away from a Resort Hotel would be preferable but until the world gets back to normal doing a package with help with testing etc and then just a few days in somewhere like Playa Larga or Playa Giron will get you some great birding.

Just before we were due to return to the UK, the Government announced that anyone entering the UK needed to have a negative PCR test but they didn’t set a date. When I looked in to it the SMC medical centre in the Hotel and in other major resort hotels could do a test 2 to 3 days before departure for only US $30 but we didn’t need it because the government moved back the date. However worth knowing after the lockdown if the UK stills require a negative test before arrival (even for countries with proportionately less than 1% of active cases of the UK).

Last thoughts

After nearly a year devoid of new birds it was great to add 31 new bird species in a really friendly country and to tick off country 94 (surely we can add 6 more in 2021 as the world emerges from the pandemic).

Our last bird of 2020 was Cuban Pewee and our first of 2021 a Cuban Parakeet.

Attachments

• bt blue warbler.JPG
    bt blue warbler.JPG
    16.2 MB · Views: 10
  • cuban bullfinch.JPG
    cuban bullfinch.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 10
  • northern parula year1.JPG
    northern parula year1.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 15
  • prairie warbler cu.JPG
    prairie warbler cu.JPG
    7.3 MB · Views: 15
  • cuban parakeets.JPG
    cuban parakeets.JPG
    6.3 MB · Views: 15
  • cuban pewee.JPG
    cuban pewee.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 9
The place for the Quail Dove was in a restaurant complex and diving place with some Cenotes linking to snorkelling and diving spots across the road in the sea. I don’t know what the name of this place is but it is about 10 minutes east of Playa Larga on the Bay of Pigs.
I visited here in 2019. It's called Cueva de los Peces. Interesting to see your Blue-headed Quail Dove has a touch of black in the crown. We were told that this was due to the un-natural diet of kitchen scraps. A blacker example attached (same site) together with a comparison photo taken in the forest at Soplillar.

John

Attachments

• blue-headed quail-dove cueva de los peces.JPG
    blue-headed quail-dove cueva de los peces.JPG
    830.9 KB · Views: 13
  • blue-headed quail-dove soplillar.JPG
    blue-headed quail-dove soplillar.JPG
    699.7 KB · Views: 13
Brought back some happy memories, thanks David.
Casa Ana sounds interesting if they have the Bee Hummers in the garden but I have to say El Varadero where we stayed was so good I would have to choose that one if I returned. I went up to the village of Palpite, about 6 kms away where there is another hot location for them.
If anyone is interested we did a self drive of much of the island in 2016 and stayed in Casas almost everywhere.Highly recommended but the best birding was, for me anyway, around the Playa Larga area but there again, that's where we had a guide so it helps to find certain sites and tracks.
You can follow the link below or if you just want to look at some pictures I have an album on Flickr too.

Wife Claire and I were only discussing earlier our plans for this year in to next which currently look far from fixed but she did suggest that a package might be a better option than DIY because then the travel company will arrange Covid testing etc if necessary before you return I expect.

I visited here in 2019. It's called Cueva de los Peces. Interesting to see your Blue-headed Quail Dove has a touch of black in the crown. We were told that this was due to the un-natural diet of kitchen scraps. A blacker example attached (same site) together with a comparison photo taken in the forest at Soplillar.

John
Thanks

Some birds were bluer on the head, see near bird but interesting how a bit of rice would cause that change.
We did not see birds at Soplillar only Grey-fronted for us here.

Attachments

• blue headed qu dove pair.JPG
    blue headed qu dove pair.JPG
    8.9 MB · Views: 11
Thanks

Some birds were bluer on the head, see near bird but interesting how a bit of rice would cause that change.
We did not see birds at Soplillar only Grey-fronted for us here.
I'm surprised by that change too, if it really is linked to eating cooked? rice, it's not like any of the common species that go to feeders elsewhere never consume food normally not available in the region, so I wonder what causes the color change in the Quail-Doves?

One of the rather interesting observations from our Cuba trip was that you'd often find stretches of the roads had rice spread out to dry in the sun. As a consequence the rice contains pieces of gravel and the owner of our Casa spent hours going through her packet of rice grain by grain to eliminate the risk of us eating any. The birds no doubt would benefit from a bit of grit though!

I'm surprised by that change too, if it really is linked to eating cooked? rice, it's not like any of the common species that go to feeders elsewhere never consume food normally not available in the region, so I wonder what causes the color change in the Quail-Doves?
Would it be that the iridescence is related to birds being in prime condition if it is a sexually desirable trait (ike glossy plumage or long tails in other birds) - only birds in peak condition can exhibit it, thus birds eating a substandard diet can't quite reach the perfection level and the iridescence (or blue colour) is lacking as they aren't quite as 'fit'???

Great report there David and Sarah , me and the wife are booked to go to Cuba in mid Nov 4 days in Havana 10 in Varadero . it will be our first time in Cuba so majority of birds will be new to us , its not a full on birding trip but we both like to get out early morning and late afternoon for a bit . would love to see bee hummingbird , cuban trogon and tody plus owls etc . Is Playa large too far for a day trip from Varadero for the bee hummingbirds or would a night in a Casa be the best option ? your thoughts and any advice on where to stay would be much appreciated , do they speak English at Casa Ana as my Spanish is pretty useless ! I have Heard of Ernesto didn't he work at the small Ecologica reserve in Varadero ?

So glad you managed to get there. Cuba is the place that first gave me the travel bug so many years ago when I went with my parents so not a birding trip and I really want to go back and put that right.

Thanks for the report.
Hi Tristan, I am Ernesto Reyes David's bird guide. So if you are planning to comeback we be our pleasure to guide you.

Great report there David and Sarah , me and the wife are booked to go to Cuba in mid Nov 4 days in Havana 10 in Varadero . it will be our first time in Cuba so majority of birds will be new to us , its not a full on birding trip but we both like to get out early morning and late afternoon for a bit . would love to see bee hummingbird , cuban trogon and tody plus owls etc . Is Playa large too far for a day trip from Varadero for the bee hummingbirds or would a night in a Casa be the best option ? your thoughts and any advice on where to stay would be much appreciated , do they speak English at Casa Ana as my Spanish is pretty useless ! I have Heard of Ernesto didn't he work at the small Ecologica reserve in Varadero ?
Hi Gary. I didn't work in Varahicacos Ecological reserve anymore. I work as private tour guide now and we have our headquarters in Zapata Swamp!

I would certainly suggest a night in a Casa for the Owls as well as the other target birds. When we were planning it with Ernesto as we weren't sure about overnight accommodation because of Covid we did have an alternative of doing long days and returning to Varadero so it is probably doable as day trips.
I would suggest you contact Ernesto nearer the time for latest info, we only firmed up our arrangements when we were in Cuba.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back