• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Curious about the Bushnell Spectator 5x, 10x Dual (1 Viewer)

Highway Dog

United States
This past year, Bushnell put out a Dual focus strength reverse porro. It has IF in what is called Perma Focus. Obviously a bad idea for this 50's guy with accommodation problems in eyesight.

Being a bit irrepressible, I wonder, "So what?" If I fiddle with the focus every time I use it, could it be a fun gadget?

Has anybody looked through one? Can you give your thoughts?

Right now the price is about 110 dollars no matter where I look. I wish to keep it to about 60 or 75 for this experiment.

I would think that the coating for anti-refection are probably blue-- The Magnesium Oxide type. I don't know for sure. Those blue coatings are okay for this type of trial.... The objectives are 30mm or 25mm. Seems like there are differing specifications. Maybe there has been a design change.

Please tell me what you saw when you looked through them!

Thanks,
Rob.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/...Spectator..Dual

I was reading earlier about the Steiner porro that uses auto focus $280. The deal as you mentioned is your age. It appears as you age you can't adjust your eyes as well and might experience eye strain/headaches.

http://www.bestbinocularsreviews.com/self_focusing_binoculars.php

What I wondered about was the inability to use the bins from inside of 40-60'. I guess you'd become acclimated to the distance if the old eyes could handle focusing.

Might keep your eye on auction sites.

I looked at the Bushnells in question and the thought of a 5-10x zoom and autofocus is giving me a headache.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back