• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

curlews and wood blewits (1 Viewer)

mycopsycho

among other things
Has anyone else seen eurasian curlew or any other wader or bird even, feed on the maggots in wood blewits? Or any other pastoral fungi for that matter?
For a couple of seasons I'd noticed curious holes in the caps of mature w blewits at a site on the N.E. coast of Scotland. Then a couple of years back I caught the culprit red beaked as it were. Just curious as to whether this is wide spread behavior or a localised adaptation.

Guess that's one of the above at any rate!

How common are pastoral fungi in the landscape and for how long during the year?

Do Curlew (indeed other waders/corvids etc) investigate animal droppings (eg cowpats) for the invertebrate life they contain?

Not surprised if they would appear to be an obvious food source (more surprised if the larvae are well hidden within), but interesting ...

Blewits are about from early Oct til well into Dec but I've seen agaricus ( field,horse ect) as early as Aug. Not sure if St Georges mushrooms (late Apr-May) have maggots. Cowpats to mushroom caps sounds like the logical leap. Just interested in whether this particular behavioral meme was wide spread or not like tits & milk bottle tops used to be.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back