• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Customs uncover smuggling of pipits in Munich – 50 poachers arrested in Italy (1 Viewer)

David

Munich/Milan. Song bird smugglers have been caught again in Germany. Customs officers at Munich’s Erding airport discovered 2,643 dead Meadow Pipits Anthus pratensis in the luggage of an Italian travel group. According to the travellers the birds came from Romania and were destined be served up as delicacies in Italian restaurants. In 2004, another Italian was caught with 2,100 Meadow Pipits in his luggage. According to Alex Hirschfeld, spokesperson of the German Committee Against Bird Slaughter (Komitee gegen den Vogelmord) “birds are imported illegally from Eastern Europe to meet the demand of gourmets and chefs”. The Committee believes that more than 50 tonnes of dead birds are smuggled annually from the Balkans into North Italy.

At present some 40 people are supporting the Committee’s bird protection camp operations in Italy. Since the beginning of October 1,250 traps and nets were found and removed in the course of a major operation in the Southern Alps. In addition more than 200 birds were freed and 56 poachers arrested by the police. The operations continue until the end of November.

Source: A.Heyd, Auf dem Dransdorfer Berg 98, 53121 Bonn, Rückfragen: Tel: 0228 / 665521 oder [email protected]

Last edited:
Hi David,

Thank you for the updates. It is good to hear of the capture of the poachers in Germany who seem to be one of the few countries who take their responsibilities seriously where the E U Bird Directive is concerned. I remember you advising of their successes on past occasions, sadly the rest of the countries in the Union do not have seem to have the will. Sorry I can't find the words as usual but you know what I mean.

It is also good to hear that 40 people are working in the protection camps in Italy and are already destroying nets, traps and releasing birds and there too people have been arrested. I know that as the hunters become more desperate to get the birds their lives can be put in danger and I hope they all remain safe and return home at the end knowing they have saved many birds' lives. If someone can pass on our thanks to them it would be greatly appreciated.

From one who cares and likes to say thank you for the birds.

Ann :t: :flyaway: :flyaway:

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back