• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

cyprus - north or south ?? (1 Viewer)

Tony Knight

United Kingdom
i have been reading up on previous threads and trip reports and Cyprus seems a great place to go for spring migration....but which part is better, north cyprus or the south ?? And which part has the worst current record for hunting/killing birds. Must admit this latter point bothers me but many of the trip reports I've read make no reference and i gather this has got a little better over the last decade ??

Hi Tony, personally I find the whole of Cyprus good for birding, but have a personal preference of the south of the island, as there is a greater amount of sites, which are also less sensitive in terms of political tension. If you search back through threads on Cyprus there's a lot of good info about which sites to visit, the best sites and also where you'd likely encounter migrants. Sites at which birding is prime include Paphos Headland, Mandria, Askepremos Dam, Larnaca Sewage Works and Pools, Aknha Dam and the Akrotiri Peninsula.

During my 3 visits to Cyprus i've only seen one incidence of shooting, and this was at the M1 pools near the Akrotiri Salt Lake. Reading the book it said ''these freshwater pools are superb for herons, egrets, waders, and the surrounding bushes good for passerines'' I remember excitedly arriving on site to see a Turtle Dove come tumbling out of the sky and 3 guys with guns in nearby bushes. Although not that prevalant these days (as far as what you see as a birding tourist), it still goes on and you could run in to it taking place, though I doubt that any one area is worse than another.

HTH

Dan

thanks - looks like the south it is then. The sites seem spread across the island so it may be that i need to spend half the week in the west and the other half in the east. Hope I don't come across what you saw. Must be very difficult to shake it from your mind and enjoy the rest of the holiday without looking at every island resident and wondering if they too kill birds.

Tony

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back