• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DaLat Flycatcher (1 Viewer)

glennmanc

I don't see many blue flycatchers and I'm not up-to-date on nomenclature, so can you tell me the Latin name of this one? Cyornis xxxx? Maps suggest it has to be Indochinese Blue (sumatrensis) in DaLat, but does this name also cover the "old" Tickell's Blue? (I have lightened them in Photoshop, but also attach a non-Photoshopped image.
Some older websites show both Tickell's and Bluethroated in DaLat

Attachments

• OngLe-IndoBlueFly.jpg
    OngLe-IndoBlueFly.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 17
  • Un-Photoshopped.jpg
    Un-Photoshopped.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
Last edited:
This is not Indochinese but the race/form/colour morph klossi of Hainan Blue. This form has a muted pinkish-orange wash on the breast and the lower part of the throat and a narrow throat wedge/notch which turns white at the top. Indochinese has a well-defined bright orange breast, contrasting sharply with the belly, and a broader orange throat wedge.

IOC classes klossi as a race but I remember James Eaton saying in an online conversation that it's likely just to be a colour morph because of its variability.

I see. So this used to be called the klossi form of "Blue-throated" rubeculoides, but is now the klossi form of "Hainan Blue" hainanus
Yes I think that’s right. I follow Howard and Moore for my life list and this is one of just 2 cases (out of ~2700) where I actually gain a tick as a result. I have seen both klossi and normal hainan blue FC and H&M is the only major checklist that still has them as different species
Cheers
James

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back