• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Damsel ID required (1 Viewer)

Paul Rule

Can anyone help to ID this Damselfly.

Seen at Paxton Pits (Cambs) last Friday. The nearest I can find in my field guide is female Dainty Damselfly, but I doubt if I could have been lucky enough to find one of those, so I would appreciate some expert help here.

Paul

Attachments

• What is it.jpg
    What is it.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 229
Paul Rule said:
Can anyone help to ID this Damselfly.

Seen at Paxton Pits (Cambs) last Friday. The nearest I can find in my field guide is female Dainty Damselfly, but I doubt if I could have been lucky enough to find one of those, so I would appreciate some expert help here.

Paul

It looks like we have differences of opinion over this. I think it is the blue female form of The Variable Damselfly. This species does occur in your area, although somewhat scarce over most of the British Isles.

Harry.

My vote is for female Azure here. The abdo segs 1 & 2 match the pic on p.81 of the Brooks book very well. I have attached two pics of a female Variable taken in Norfolk two weeks ago for comparison.

Attachments

• variable_fem_1jun_04_800a.jpg
    variable_fem_1jun_04_800a.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 180
  • variable_fem_1jun_04_800b.jpg
    variable_fem_1jun_04_800b.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
brianhstone said:
My vote is for female Azure here. The abdo segs 1 & 2 match the pic on p.81 of the Brooks book very well. I have attached two pics of a female Variable taken in Norfolk two weeks ago for comparison.

Sorry to disagree with you Brian, but the Variable Damsel is variable in colour marking shape. The original thumbnail shows blue patterning on segments 7 and 8 whereas in the Azure they are simply a narrow blue band. Vertical overheads shots like your no 2 are easier to ID than angled shots.

Harry

Interesting. My originally thought was that this was a Variable, in which case it would be a 1st for this site. I have sent the pic to the Dragonfly Society but am still waiting a response from them.

Last edited:
Paul Rule said:
Maybe this close-up Image will help?

Not a lot Paul, unfortunately, there is variation in both Azure and Variable Damselfies, on segments 1 and 2.

Have you a similar picture of the last four segments of the abdomen?

Harry

Paul Rule said:
Tricky game this aint it. Last 4 segments attached

Hi Paul,
Fortunately it's not always a tricky game.
Right, having compared your picture (above) with the blue female forms of both variable and Azure Damselflies in Steve Brooks book pages 81 and 83 I am still sure it is a Variable Damselfly. There are distince shapes to the blue areas on the last four abdominal segments. In Azure they are just a blue crossline.

Disagreements over these two species causes more 'punch up's' than a political argument. Lol.

Harry

Last edited:
Do Variables really have such a white body? Aren't they nearly always more greeny? And aren't Azures quite variable in amounts of blue, even down to segs 8 and 9?

Don't mind me, I haven't seen either for years...........

Paul Rule said:
Harry,

Any more thoughts from you?

Paul

Hi Paul,
My vote is still for Variable Damselfly, Unfortunately identification from a single photograph can be fraught with problems, Flash can change colours, or reflect back at the lense, or a badly angled shot may not reveal all the diagnostic features, etc.

Whenever there is doubt over identification a specimen should always be taken for someone else to examine (this does not necessarily mean killing the insect).

I appreciate the possiblility of a problem with ID may not have occurred to you when the picture was taken, and in view of the differences of opinion over which species this is, I think you may have to write this one off.

In future it may be better to take several shots from different angles (if that is possible), that way we may be able to determine a more positive identification.

Harry

Sorry I ment to do this ages ago, but things got busy and I forgot. I did get a reply from the British Dragonfly Soc, and according to them it's a fem Azure.

Paul

Paul Rule said:
Sorry I ment to do this ages ago, but things got busy and I forgot. I did get a reply from the British Dragonfly Soc, and according to them it's a fem Azure.

Paul
I don't know whether that's good or bad news, but at least it clears it up ;)

Paul Rule said:

Paul

Hmmm, I'm still not convinced, all the more reason for netting uncertain specimens and giving them a closer examination. But then some folks aren't willing to do that, even when a possible rarity is involved. No offence meant.

Harry

Missed this thread when originally started.
I'd call this female Azure, for reasons that'll have to wait till I have more time, this evening or tomorrow.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back