• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dawn chorus (1 Viewer)

A very noble winding down post Dram7. You,'ve taken some difficult replies on the chin without getting rattled.
The art to teaching young children on a subject like birds is to keep the whole thing simple but entertaining. Get it right first time and I tell you it's great fun. Go all scientific and 'by the book' and you've lost their attention in no time at all, as a great birding friend of mine here found to his cost when he gave a talk to primary school children at a local school a couple of years ago. He didn't heed my advice at the time and at the end of the session he told me he wished he had. He's never given talks to kids again though.
It's tough but enjoyable.
I hope your talk goes well. Good luck. Remember.- Keep it simple.

I think it's still backwards. It seems far more likely that the preferance for singing at dawn, which has a number of explanations already stated in this thread, has led to the current incubation schedule where it exists.

That sounds reasonable. It also explains why the female-nocturnal, male-diurnal, shift pattern seems to be ubiquitous. If there weren't a good reason for it then you'd expect it to be totally random which sex incubated during the day and which at night, with inter-species, if not intra-species, variations.

A very noble winding down post Dram7. You,'ve taken some difficult replies on the chin without getting rattled.
The art to teaching young children on a subject like birds is to keep the whole thing simple but entertaining. Get it right first time and I tell you it's great fun. Go all scientific and 'by the book' and you've lost their attention in no time at all, as a great birding friend of mine here found to his cost when he gave a talk to primary school children at a local school a couple of years ago. He didn't heed my advice at the time and at the end of the session he told me he wished he had. He's never given talks to kids again though.
It's tough but enjoyable.
I hope your talk goes well. Good luck. Remember.- Keep it simple.

Will do Thanks

That sounds reasonable. It also explains why the female-nocturnal, male-diurnal, shift pattern seems to be ubiquitous. If there weren't a good reason for it then you'd expect it to be totally random which sex incubated during the day and which at night, with inter-species, if not intra-species, variations.

It was always known to us kids. not just me,and lead to my "speculation".
It is gratifying to know that in general the day, night observation was not well known(I think)Shades of Darwin.Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back