• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dawn home backyard bird calls (TEST #1 ME66 + K6 + Sony A7Riii) (1 Viewer)

dixonlau

Malaysia
Got my Sennheiser ME66 + K6 years ago but can't seems to get results I want/satisfied that time with Sony A7Riii. Decided gave it a try again today. Results not perfect but acceptable satisfied with newly added accessories Movo WST220, received few days ago and that helps filter out some unwanted wind noise.

Direct plug into Sony A7Riii.
Camera audio recording level set to around 30% (can't really remember).
No lens attached. Record movie in HD.
Mic partially stick out from 2nd floor window pointing to my backyard.
Edited with Audacity running on Windows 10 Pro.
Export as MP3 320kbps, Stereo

Final Result after filter with Amplify, Filter Curve.
View attachment C0002 - ME66 A7R3.mp3

What do you think about the results?

I find that if using Noise Reduction, the result not very good. When using Filter Curve, it appear much better.

Filter Curve settings used. Not thoroughly tested, just a quick settings.
Audacity Filter Curve for Birds.JPG

I set the range between 700Hz - 8,000Hz because according to google, many bird calls have the frequency range between 1,000Hz to 8,000Hz. Any comment & suggestions on this?

This mic really sensitive. With my settings above, it even picked up a motorbike sound over 200meter away, blocked by concrete houses before it appear on the road from my sight.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back