• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Deer culling the natural way (1 Viewer)

Ease up fellah, let it go. FJ whilst being extremely articulate, researched and experienced is also quick to tease and enjoy a belly laugh. He really doesn't need my support apart from also concuring that trophy hunters are abhorant and repulsive.
Just as any other human being (and probably less than any average vegetarian)
As to the reality of Bison meat, I'm not entirely convinced it would find a place on the supermarket shelves in sufficient quantity and price point to be viable.
Don't think either. As speciality for limited market demand it may be ok.

Also, sadly, tho I've never met him, he doesn't seem worth eating himself. That profile photo makes me think he'd be tough and hard-to-chew.

Use a slow cooker. Put him on in the morning, go out for a days birding, come home to a few days worth of casserole. πŸ‘πŸΌ

Sadly I rather think I would make good belly pork or bacon. However, the autumn pilgrimage to Shetland should provide some exercise to get me back into the swing of things.

John
We've cooked up a nice end for any trophy hunters we shoot.

Entirely agree. It will put food on some folks table, especially the desperate families on low income. I too don't understand the need to kill so many animals in one go, surely too many for the pot, even if you froze one.
John, change of heart regarding reintroduction? Either of these species would have to fenced or penned in to protect them from stupid trophy hunters. And isn't this the type of "zoo" you have a dislike for? ( Devil's debating advocate here ).

NB. I am not vegan though I have reduced my overall intake of red meat, to an occassional treat.
Stupid trophy hunters, did you really say that? So your reason for an animal to be killed is on a higher moral standard , and since you’ve lowered your red meat intake, one less killed animal, I get it.

Vegans are more vicious. Although the majority of them are ok.
Yes, I can definitely tolerate them unless they belong to the group of useless humans that need to tell everyone that they are vegans and they pretend to be better than those who eat "dead meat". Any of the hunters I know is worth a thousand stereotyped vegans...

Yes, I can definitely tolerate them unless they belong to the group of useless humans that need to tell everyone that they are vegans and they pretend to be better than those who eat "dead meat". Any of the hunters I know is worth a thousand stereotyped vegans...
They seem to be getting the bad side of everything, I know some vegans and so far none of the ones I've met are your 'stereotype' vegans. They're all nice people you want to be around. They might suggest once or twice to you to reduce your intake of meat, etc, but they've been understanding and don't deserve the hate vegans get sometimes.

They seem to be getting the bad side of everything, I know some vegans and so far none of the ones I've met are your 'stereotype' vegans. They're all nice people you want to be around. They might suggest once or twice to you to reduce your intake of meat, etc, but they've been understanding and don't deserve the hate vegans get sometimes.
Of course, I have nice mates that don't forage on meat or fish. I always told them I'll stop eating meat the day they stop driving a car (like me). It would be a bit to rude to ask them to be childless (like me) once they already got kids ha ha.

Stupid trophy hunters, did you really say that? So your reason for an animal to be killed is on a higher moral standard , and since you’ve lowered your red meat intake, one less killed animal, I get it.
Don't be foolish but I'm happy to debate. Yes, that is what I wrote Paul. I'm all for hunting fair and legal game for the pot and feeding your family. Killing something just to boast or mount as a trophy, is for me akin to small dick syndrome, or else having a red Ferrari or Boss Mustang. Maybe even an old Chevy pick up with a Remington in the side compartment.
My reducing my red meat intake is down to following my GPs advice.......not for social posturing, but if it reduces a bit of carbon by the time I snuff it then that's fine by me.

I can't recall the exact wording but i once read there are 4 stages to hunting:
1) the young hunter wants to kill something. Anything, any way.
2) the now successful hunter wants to kill something unique or impressive. A trophy if you will.
3) the pro/experienced hunter cares more about how they hunt. the method matters. fair chase, primitive means, on foot...
4) the old hunter realizes it was more about the woodcraft, the skill, the understanding of nature/prey... and hardly actually hunts anymore, but is just as happy sitting under a tree watching the sun rise.

You mean they’re not better πŸ˜†.

I agree they’re not all lunes. The ones that fit the stereotype , I have no problem with them either, usually if we’re walking together I just pick up the pace and they can’t keep up. 🀣

Of course, I have nice mates that don't forage on meat or fish. I always told them I'll stop eating meat the day they stop driving a car (like me). It would be a bit to rude to ask them to be childless (like me) once they already got kids ha ha.
I had a similar conversation ,but on a different topic with a fellow I know. He’s a gun control hypocrite. I told him that I would give up my guns when the criminals and the government gives up theirs. I also asked him if he would be OK going to his job, in a certain media company in New York if there wasn’t armed guards in the lobby and on every floor. What do you think his answer was.

Don't be foolish but I'm happy to debate. Yes, that is what I wrote Paul. I'm all for hunting fair and legal game for the pot and feeding your family. Killing something just to boast or mount as a trophy, is for me akin to small dick syndrome, or else having a red Ferrari or Boss Mustang. Maybe even an old Chevy pick up with a Remington in the side compartment.
My reducing my red meat intake is down to following my GPs advice.......not for social posturing, but if it reduces a bit of carbon by the time I snuff it then that's fine by me.
Why, am I not allowed to be foolish, are you not being foolish with your opinion, you know what body part opinions are like, right? I myself am not one for trophy hunting or hunters , but I sure as heck aren’t going to believe that my opinion holds some higher moral ground. I never had the red Ferrari, I did have a Mach 1 mustang, I had the Ford pick up truck , but with a Winchester , you foolish man. I actually drive a Dodge Challenger right now and my dck is not small. If my gynecologist told me to lower my red meat consumption , like you, I’d take his or her advice.

I prefer to call it more of a dialogue than a debate. ✌🏼

2) the now successful hunter wants to kill something unique or impressive. A trophy if you will.
3) the pro/experienced hunter cares more about how they hunt. the method matters. fair chase, primitive means, on foot...
4) the old hunter realizes it was more about the woodcraft, the skill, the understanding of nature/prey... and hardly actually hunts anymore, but is just as happy sitting under a tree watching the sun rise.
It was called the five stages of a hunter, which one are you. Written by Dr. Robert Jackson and Dr. Robert Norton of the University of Wisconsin. They conducted a study of over 1000 hunters. Among other things the study found that hunters pass through five distinct stages over their lives in terms of the views of successful hunting. You kind of hit a few points (no pun intended) , but definitely out of context and in a very unsatisfactory Hunter profile. But it was a good read. ✌🏼

Here in New York on our barrier island knownas Fire Island there are no predators , there is no gun season only a very short bow season by a lottery system. The whole island is the Atlantic ocean on one side and the great South Bay on the other. This is a huge ocean beach spot for long islanders and tourists. The deer can walk right up to you because people feed them, there is absolutely no fear of humans. A while back a local group managed to get the township to stop all hunting permits, needless to say it didn’t take long before there was an issue. Within a few years the dead carcasses started to become a problem, the deer were also walking over the car bridge and making their way in to small strips of land near suburban homes. The town was forced to deal with situation from public demand, by opening a short but large harvest permit and a substantial cost. The animal rights organization tried everything in their power including blocking the bridge to the barrier island and running up and down the small paths to disrupt the hunters. They proposed sending in a company to catch them and sterilize and release. The taxpayers were not up for it. Since then there is a short bow hunting season on the island and they manage to control the population and the bridge coup.

For me it’s been:
1) Not interested in killing unless to eat
2) Interested in the hide, but only if I can eat it too
3) Not interested in killing unless to eat
4) No change

My father claims to have eaten everything while growing up in a poor family - deer, bear, squirrel, groundhog, racoon, and more - everything. They only liked the venison! During the Depression they lived off a big garden, chicken coop, and a deer for meat in the winter - they'd only resort to eating the others in bad winters with no deer. They did birdwatching too, I know my grandfather was into both birdwatching and astronomy.

I'm not suggesting anything violent, but it does occur to me that "sport hunting" is an oxymoron. "Sport" implies fair competition, so I ask, who's playing defense? Let's see some equally armed competition and then we'll call it a "sport" :):)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back