• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Denoise time to complete (1 Viewer)

Vernon Barker

My computer is taking ages (typically 5-6 minutes) to complete denoise on 45MB files from Canon R5 camera. This strikes me as very excessive. Does anyone else have this problem and what are your typical denoise times?

My files are approximately 25 to 29 MB's and take less than a minute.
In fact it probably takes me longer to choose which version to apply.

My files are approximately 25 to 29 MB's and take less than a minute.
In fact it probably takes me longer to choose which version to apply.
Thanks for your reply, allowing for my larger file size, based on your time to process, then mine should only take less than 2 mins. Will look into suitability of my current computer to see if an upgrade is called for. Could I ask how much RAM you have. Mine has 16 G

Most denoise implementations rely heavily on your graphics card. Takes me about 6-7 seconds to denoise a 40 MB in Lightroom with a Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti GPU.

A compressed Raw file from a camera with a 45MP sensor is going to uncompress into a 200MB or larger file when being processed. Save the file as a TIFF and you will see what I mean.

A supported graphics card will help as will having the files on an internal SSD instead of a hard drive (which is subject to fragmentation).

I thought that the difference between internal SSD and external HD was more about read access speed than fragmentation. Newer windows seems to run defragmentation in the background all the time.
Niels

Most denoise implementations rely heavily on your graphics card. Takes me about 6-7 seconds to denoise a 40 MB in Lightroom with a Nvidia RTX 4070 Ti GPU.
Thanks for your comment. I have consulted a computer expert and the problem is caused by an older graphics card which managed OK on 20MB files but is inadequate for the 45MB files from R5. New graphics card is on order.

Thanks for your comment. I have consulted a computer expert and the problem is caused by an older graphics card which managed OK on 20MB files but is inadequate for the 45MB files from R5. New graphics card is on order.
You might check your Power Supply Unit. Upgrading things on older PCs often mean greater power requirements. I once upgraded an NVidia Geforce Graphics Card and had to change the PSU to handle the power requirements. I eventually upgraded the whole PC as the CPUs were too slow after over 10 years of loyal service.. I still prefer to use external hard drives to store my data, as they are easy to transfer over to a new rig.

My computer is taking ages (typically 5-6 minutes) to complete denoise on 45MB files from Canon R5 camera. This strikes me as very excessive. Does anyone else have this problem and what are your typical denoise times?
The amount of Ram available and the speed of the processor are more of a factor than the type of drive used if the drive is internal. An external drive is going to perform considerably slower with the various bottlenecks.

With my own image processing I prefer desktop or tower computers that allow me to have two Nvme M.2 internal SSD drives that I can use to create a RAID1 combined drive. I get the fastest performance and when on SSD fails no data is lost. I have done this with my Windows and Mac OS X computers.

With some applications the GPU is very important and the standalone PCIe cards perform much better than the computers where graphics are processed with the main processor.

Something else to consider is whether you need 100% of the resolution provided direct from the camera. With my cameras a 55MB Raw file when opened in the computer becomes a 200+ MB file and if saved as a 16-bit TIFF file is going to reflect this. For a print I need at most 240 dpi and if the largest print is going to be 20x30 then I resize the image as a first step to the size and resolution needed for a print. I can reduce the data in the file by 50% with no loss of print quality and have a file that is much easier and faster to process.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back