• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Descriptions of all fossil Strigiformes (1 Viewer)

I noticed that the link

http://www2.nrm.se/ve/birds/sape/GlobalOwlProject/index.html

no longer worls'and there is was. This means that I have to make a new list for the fpssol Strigiformes. That will take some time.

Fred

Fred, "Original literature describing the entire Order of Strigiformes (extant and fossil Genera, species and subspecies) 1758 - 2007," by A.E. Sieradzki, David H. Johnson, Paul Radley, Deane P. Lewis and Fred Ruhe, is still around on the internet, but now located here.

Hopefully this will save you some time.

Maybe you can answer the question in Post #18 instead? ;)

/B

Hopefully this will save you some time.

/B

Not really. There is a description of Sceloglaux but not on it's ancestor. In 2019 they discovered Heracles inexpectatus (an ancestor of the Kakapo from St Bathans) and I had hoped that there were similar findings in the fossil owl records of New Zealand.

:oops: Melanie, my comment regarding saving time was aimed at Fred.

I have no idea, neither do I know anything nor have an opinion, on any Owl ancestor/s, what-so-ever ...

Good luck finding what you're looking for.

/B

Last edited:
I've got a very interesting reply by Dr. Worthy

Thankyou for your enquiry. The laughing owl is the only fossil owl known from NZ with oldest remains up to 50,000 years old. Surprisingly there are no fossil owls in Australia – well no extinct fossil ones. Several of the living owls there have fossils back to about ¾ of a million years old. However, DNA analyses show that the laughing owl had an ancestor in the Ninox group from Australia and is close to the boobook or morepork. It is interesting that this latter species is also capable of long distance dispersal, having got to NZ and a number of islands to establish subspecies, so it appears that the laughing owl resulted from an earlier dispersal from this group.

and he sent me this paper

Phylogenetic relationships and terrestrial adaptations of the extinct laughing owl, Sceloglaux albifacies (Aves: Strigidae)

Only glad to be of help! You're busy enough as it is ...

So there you can find Tyto ostologa Wetnore, 1922. Go to: ...
And, yes Fred, I know, that I've known for a long time (I've had the OD for ages), my question was more of why Tyto ostologa wasn't (and still isn't) listed in this particular thread ("... of all fossil Strigiformes")?

I thought that that you either missed it (and if so, that I simply would remind you of it), or that it (today/since then) possibly/plausibly could/might had been considered invalid, a synonym, or maybe "reduced" to the rank of subspecies ... :unsure:

However, let's not waste more time in this certain topic, until further notice, util proven otherwise, in my MS I will treat the Hispaniolan Barn Owl Tyto ostologa as a valid (since long extinct) taxon/species, in line with the List by Tyrberg et al. (Sept. 2022).

Cheers

Last edited:
And, yes Fred, I know, that I've known for a long time (I've had the OD for ages), my question was more of why Tyto ostologa wasn't (and still isn't) listed in this particular thread ("... of all fossil Strigiformes")?
I do not agree: it is between Tyto mourerchauvireae Pavia, 2004 and Tyto pollens Wetmore, 1937 and the link to the pdf does work! So I wonder what the problem is.

Fred

No problem Fred, it's just me, I though that all taxa/ODs would be found in this thread alone (even without the old Global Owl Project link/compilation). My misunderstanding (my sloppy reading of post #1), sorry. But thanks for making me understand. (y)

Thus, valid it is.

Tyto ostologa ... over and out!

Björn

Last edited:
No problem Fred, it's just me, I though that all taxa/ODs would be found in this thread alone (even without the old Global Owl Project link/compilation). My misunderstanding (my sloppy reading go post #1), sorry. But thanks for making me understand. (y)

Thus, valid it is.

Tyto ostologa ... over and out!

Björn
As always, Björn, you are welcome!
I just didn't wanted to do double work so I gave a link to my previous work and stated that in the beginning of this thread.

Fred

Add in the family Strigidae:

Genus Yarquen Tambussi, Degrange et González Ruiz, 2023
Claudia P. Tambussi, Federi8co J. Desgrange & Laureano Gonzalez Ruiz, 23023
An extinct owl (aves: strigidae) from the middle miocene of Patagonia
Historical Biology. 0 (0): 1–6.
doi:10.1080/08912963.2023.2180738. ISSN 0891-2963.
See attachment 1

Yarquen dolgopolae ambussi, Degrange et González Ruiz, 2023
Claudia P. Tambussi, Federi8co J. Desgrange & Laureano Gonzalez Ruiz, 23023
An extinct owl (aves: strigidae) from the middle miocene of Patagonia
Historical Biology. 0 (0): 1–6.
doi:10.1080/08912963.2023.2180738. ISSN 0891-2963.
See attachment 1

Fred

Attachments

• Tambussi et al. (2023) Yarquen.pdf
    4.9 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back