• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Determining the date of manufacture of the Hartmann Wetzlar binoculars (3 Viewers)

Wasabrot

Austria
Hartmann-Optik Wetzlar used a constantly increasing serial number for its binoculars. Since the number does not differ between production lines, the serial numbers for new product line introductions and thus the corresponding manufacturing dates can be identified.
I searched the internet for pictures of Hartmann binoculars and made a list of the serial numbers and the product line.

From the Hartmann history summarized by Gijs van Ginkel we know that the first Leichtmetall Porlerims were made from 1936-1939. This binoculars had two screws per prism chamber cover plate, suggesting they already used the metal wedges to move the prisms for collimation.

After World War II, Hartmann continued production of Leichtmetall Porlerims in 1948, but they were marked with "Made in US-Zone Germany". The lowest number I found was 11500 so I think that below 11k binoculars must
be produced before WW2. The post-war Porlerims had only one centered screw per cover plate and show the typical screws in the body to tilt the prisms for collimation. At about 33k Hartmann switched back to the two screws and thus the metal wedge prism shift collimation system.

Up until about 55k they used an italic font for the serial number and then changed it to non-italic. At around 62k, the Leichtmetall dropped from product name.

In 1961 the Bernina line was introduced. The lowest number I've found on a Bernina is 72226. The first Berninas had eyepieces in the same style as Porlerim (fine knurling).

In 1966 the Compact line was introduced. These compacts also had a new type of eyepiece knurling that was rougher. This style was later used for porlerims and berninas too. First compacts I found where around 121k.

With 1986, Porlerim production was discontinued. The highest Porlerim number I found is 147153.

In 1992 Hartmann closed his workshop. The highest tota number l I've found is 157716.

In the attached files you can find an overview which numbers correspond to which periods as well of about 150 samples I have found.

With help of community I hopefully can refine the list. Maybe someone even knows the exact manufacture date of his/her Hartmann binocular.

Attachments

• Hartmann_Overview.pdf
    82.8 KB · Views: 57
  • Hartmann_sample-list.pdf
    216.3 KB · Views: 48
A question to the Hartmann owners, my Leichtmetall Porlerim with number 37k has BK7 prisms since it shows the diamond shaped exit pupils typical for BK7.
My later Porlerims and Compact have BAK4 prisms. Was BK7 typical for the Leichtmetall Porlerim production line and when did they changed to BAK4?

Maybe not the perfect place to write, but I don't want to start a new thread either.

I just bought a pair of Bernina 12x60 for about 60$ and I am amazed by the optical quality.
The minimum focus is a bit far (I did not measure it, but roughly around 4 or 5 meters).
The field of view is not super large.
They don't feel that heavy, but they are quite bulky (obviously).
Focusing is slow but precise.
I can't be very precise about optical quality but it's a real pleasure to look into them and far beyond my expectations.

I have nothing really helpful to add.

My Hartmann Compact 7x42 carries the number 134504.
I purchased it a few years ago from Holger Merlitz, who mentioned that this model started to be produced in 1965, and that the sample in question was "from the early 1970s" (knowing Holger, I guess he would have given the exact year of production if this info were available to him).

Canip

I have nothing really helpful to add.

My Hartmann Compact 7x42 carries the number 134504.
I purchased it a few years ago from Holger Merlitz, who mentioned that this model started to be produced in 1965, and that the sample in question was "from the early 1970s" (knowing Holger, I guess he would have given the exact year of production if this info were available to him).

Canip
Thanks for the background Info. 70s would fit.
I had this already on my list since I found it in the net. 😉
It is really hard to determine the age on only few milestones.
My list has now more than 180 samples. There is an huge increase in serial numbers in the 60s.
Maybe the most productive years of Hartmann (golden age of porros) or a lot of comissioned work like Hanseat binoculars have been made with same serial number counting?
A lot of mysteries with this company.

Attachments

• Hartmann_samplelist_22-10.pdf
    286.3 KB · Views: 21
  • Hartmann_overview_22-10.pdf
    82.8 KB · Views: 15
Maybe not the perfect place to write, but I don't want to start a new thread either.

I just bought a pair of Bernina 12x60 for about 60$ and I am amazed by the optical quality.
The minimum focus is a bit far (I did not measure it, but roughly around 4 or 5 meters).
The field of view is not super large.
They don't feel that heavy, but they are quite bulky (obviously).
Focusing is slow but precise.
I can't be very precise about optical quality but it's a real pleasure to look into them and far beyond my expectations.
A Bernina for 60$ is a great find. The Hartmanns are very solid build and optical very sharp in the middle. My Porlerim (Single coated from the first half of 60s) must not hide from my fathers early 90s Swaro Habicht in points of sharpness in middle. It stays even sharper over a bigger area of fov. Shure it is much darker in bad light suitations but has the more neutral colors at good light conditions then the Habicht.

Which serial number has your Bernina?

I bought a pair of Hensoldt and Wetzlar binoculars with numbers 54808 they are 8×24.wondering what year they were made

Hi and welcome.

Probably Hensoldt of Wetzlar not Hartmann.

Maybe some photos?

Are the optics coated?

Maybe a military Porroprism binocular?

They made different types of binoculars.

Regards,
B.

So it's time for an update because I have reached the 300 samples mark.
Out of my research I have made a graph.

Screenshot_20230324_154804_Drive.jpg
The blue marks are hopefully exact dates.
The red marks are from the introduction of new product lines. Here serial numbers fit or are below the given year.

For grey marks the manufacture year for this serial number must be equal or before the given year.

So my 10x40 compact with 137k should be build in year 1979 or 1980.
I have also atteched the sample list. Some of the links are already outdated.

As last point I raise a contest, who owns the Bernina with the lowerst serial number? ;-)

Attachments

• Hartmann_Sample_list.PDF
    735.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
My Porlerim (Single coated from the first half of 60s) must not hide from my fathers early 90s Swaro Habicht in points of sharpness in middle. It stays even sharper over a bigger area of fov. Shure it is much darker in bad light suitations but has the more neutral colors at good light conditions then the Habicht.

It's worth remembering that although Swarovski's Habicht is the only one of the old 8x30 porro designs that is still produced today, and therefore benefits from today's outstanding coatings, back in the 1960s other quality 8x30s were at least its equal. Sadly the offerings from Leitz and Zeiss did not make it into the multi-coated era. I would like to try a Bernina someday.

Got Hartmann #4 in today. Serial # 59212. "Leichtmetall" Porlerim 8x30 wide angle. Really nice condition apart from hazy prisms. All the Hartmanns I got had hazy prisms on arrival. I wonder why. Maybe some varnish on the inside that gassed out. The ocular and objective lenses however look super clean. Not a single scratch, coatings look perfect.
IMG_20230418_160059.jpg

Got Hartmann #4 in today. Serial # 59212. "Leichtmetall" Porlerim 8x30 wide angle. Really nice condition apart from hazy prisms. All the Hartmanns I got had hazy prisms on arrival. I wonder why. Maybe some varnish on the inside that gassed out. The ocular and objective lenses however look super clean. Not a single scratch, coatings look perfect.
View attachment 1505035
Nice, one of the late Leichtmetall Porlerims.
Can you tell me are the prisms made of BAK4 or BK7?
At least my Leichtmetall Porlerim (37213) shows the shading of the exit pupil typical for BK7. But it was build earlier and for the english market since it has written wide angle instead of Weitwinkel. My later Porlerims seems to have BAK4 prisms.

Attachments

• 20230418_222006.jpg
    20230418_222006.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Another 8x30 Porlerim incoming - just can't keep my fingers off the "bid"-button when these pop up on eBay. #74634 without the "Leichtmetall" writing. But I don't have it in my hands yet.

Another 8x30 Porlerim incoming - just can't keep my fingers off the "bid"-button when these pop up on eBay. #74634 without the "Leichtmetall" writing. But I don't have it in my hands yet.
I have seen it but I already own two with 80k and 86k so could control my fingers and will wait for a nice Bernina or Compact (like many others too I fear 😉).
Few weeks ago I acquired a PikAs Wetzlar 8x30 which seems to be also a Porlerim like your Hanseat. I have to open and clean it, then I will make some photos and post them in your Inside Hanseat thread.
I have seen a lot of Hartmann binoculars made for German optic shops or hunter supply shops like Waffen-Frankonia labeled with the shops names. But it would be interesting why they made binoculars with different label which also mentioned the town Wetzlar.

Was PikAs maybe a shop in Wetzlar too?

I have never heared from the airfigther squardron, always fine to learn something new. But since the PikAs I have found have numbers from 55k to 80k they should be built mid 50s to mid 60s. So I guess no relation to WWII.

Yes, I also think there is no connection there. It just came up when googling "Pik As" -- in new German writing : "Pik Ass"
Still a mistery why they would name it "Pik As" though. But I think it's cool when someone asks: "What's that bino?" -- "Oh, it's an 'ace of spades'." ;)

All the Hartmanns I got had hazy prisms on arrival. I wonder why. Maybe some varnish on the inside that gassed out. The ocular and objective lenses however look super clean. Not a single scratch, coatings look perfect.
Hi,

that sounds a lot like a description of the cheap pair of Bernina 8x60 I bought in the evening... the moon looked fine, but in reality the prisms are quite hazy at one edge... still looking for a fitting tool to loosen the bridge...

Joachim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back