• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (2 Viewers)

Start Point

Got to Start Point at 06:30 this morning to find a blown out car park, when the coastal weather forecast says light to moderate north-east wind that translates to fresh to strong here. Not surprisingly little seen so moved my car back up the track from where i could look down the more sheltered Mattiscombe valley. Soon obvious that a big Swallow movement was underway heading east at the bottom of the valley, birds maybe heading to the point and then using the tail wind to head across the channel. Did some sample counts and from them worked out that early morning they were passing through at around 13 500-15 000 per hour. Eased off mid morning to around 5 000 - 6 000 per hour and was still going at this rate when i had to leave at midday. At least 50 000 must have gone through in the morning. As about 1 in a hundred swallows i could see well enough was a Sand Martin fair to assume 500 of these passed through also. A brilliant bonus was a female Montagu's Harrier that went through at 09:00 heading east. Also seen were Hobby, 200 Meadow Pipits, 6 Grey Wags, Wheatear, Whinchat, 10 Chiffchaffs and a Spotted Fycatcher.

Isley Osprey!!!

Hi all,

Been ages since i posted, but had a stroll round Isley Marsh yesterday two spoonbill 30+ Little egrets and an Osprey on the long post out in the river.
Happy days.

Darryl

RC Starling

Hi all

I found a juv Rose-coloured Starling this evening in Wembury on the wires near the pub (Crooked Wheel). It flew off after a couple of minutes after I found it I assume to roost as other Starlings were already going in at 7. I'll look for it early tomorrow morning.

O

Start Point

A few birds around this morning but nothing rare. 200 Swallow, 150 House Martin, 200 Meadow Pipit, 4 Grey Wagtail, 2 Redstart, 3 Whinchat, 6 Wheatear, 5 Whitethroat, 8 Blackcap, Garden Warbler, 100+ Chiffchaff, 3 Willow Warbler, 4 Spotted Flycatcher, Pied Flycatcher and Reed Bunting.

A red letter day on the canal today.

Peregrine and Wheatear provided year ticks. Don't laugh but they are rare for this inland bit. Followed that up with a Wigeon which was a canal tick.

Thanks to another canal birder Ray Jones for finding the Wigeon which I was actually looking for when finding the other two. So the moral is that twitching DOES fiind you birds! ;)

Also a couple of Kingfishers and a Chiffer. Longer walk in the morning so hopefully more numbers.

I found a juv Rose-coloured Starling this evening in Wembury on the wires near the pub (Crooked Wheel). It flew off after a couple of minutes after I found it I assume to roost as other Starlings were already going in at 7. I'll look for it early tomorrow morning.

O

And someone found one in Barnstaple this evening, I'm out very early tomorrow but will return in the afternoon to see if I can relocate it...

Any gen would be appreciated... for example adult or juv?

Jon

Glossy Ibis

Went to South Huish this evening for the Glossy Ibis. It was not present on arrival but came in from the south-east at 18:15, landing in the farthest water and was still there when i left at 18:45. It has got a white ring.

Dotterel and Glossy Ibis

The Dotterel still showing well towards the far end of the the large ploughed field by Bolberry car park this afternoon, viewable from the large obvious pile of rocks at the edge of the field, but not visible from the car park itself. The white ringed Glossy Ibis also late afternoon at South Huish Marsh actively feeding on the 2nd pool best viewed from near the beach cafe on the entrance road, to gain height over the marsh. Other white ringed Glossy Ibis were part of the flocks in South Wales and Co.Wexford a couple of weeks ago and were traced as coming from the Cota Donana. (The 6 initially on the River Axe last week were all unringed).

Last edited:
Thanks Mark and Perry. Having a second crack at the Dotterel tomorrow. If the Ibis stays it will enhance the day.

You really need to scan carefully for the Dotterel, as this afternoon it spent most of the time sat down, about 75 yards into the field from the edge, the heat haze wasn't helping either.

You really need to scan carefully for the Dotterel, as this afternoon it spent most of the time sat down, about 75 yards into the field from the edge, the heat haze wasn't helping either.

Thanks Mark. That is as I suspected after "dipping" on it. The haze was harsh and the field is full of big sods that could hide a sitting Dotterel.

Southdown Birding

Just a quick note for you all coming to see the dotterel, please keep to the grass edges of the field and DON'T climb fences. Many of you do know me as a birder farmer and I want you to see these birds, but please use some common sense.
Montagues yesterday, richards pipit today both flew off (sorry).

Went for a stroll around Sherpa Marsh this evening (vaguely thinking of Glossy things) the only birds of note were an invasion of Water Rails! I heard maybe a dozen calling and squealing from the reedbed - a couple more vocalising around Wrafton Pond. Unfortunately although there have now been a few weeks of relatively dry weather, there are no significant muddy margins to the ponds, so very little habitat for waders. The only species I saw was Snipe. A few calling Cetti's Warblers, and a single Sedge Warbler.

Jon

The Dotterel showed well this morning at Bolberry Down before hunkering down as more birders arrived. It then became easy to see how I could have missed it on my first trip down. I has picked up some of the mud on it's feathers making it blend well with the ploughed field. Take your eyes off it and you had to look hard to get it again.

Just had a wondeful evening stroll from the house along the estuary; 5Blackwits, 8 Redshank, 4 Curlews, a Greenshank, 6 Turnstone, 3 Common Sands and, much to my surprise, a Water Rail. It chased a Moorhen through a small patch of reeds next to the road at Powderham deer park. I must say I never thought I would see one there, especially so conspicous at 6 in the evening with some sort of dog/horse show going on in the next field and a car driving past every 30 seconds. Admittedly we would never have seen it if it hadn't been chasing the Moorhen at the exact moment we walked by - oh and a big thanks to the deer for trampling the reeds ;)

Unfortunately a bit dark for a decent shot so had to bump the ISO, but I might return in the morning when the sun will be over my shoulder.

Attachments

• Water rail.JPG
    Water rail.JPG
    252.7 KB · Views: 64
Start Point

06:45-13:00. Beautiful day, 90% cloud cover first thing, light northwesterly becoming westerly. Pristine light. Got to Start for first light, little visible migration to speak of. Birds of the day were a Black Redstart and 2 Dartford Warblers. Also seen Great Spotted Woodpecker, 325 Swallows, 50 House Martins, 3 Grey Wagtails, Yellow Wagtail, 150 Meadow Pipits, 2 Whinchat, 8 Wheatear, 9 Blackcaps, 33 Chiffchaffs and a Siskin. Oddities included a Magpie in the lighthouse tamarisk and a Green Woodpecker in Start Farm. Not a single Goldcrest seen. At sea at least 1000 Gannets feeding around the Skerries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back