• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (2 Viewers)

The Grey Phalarope was still at Skern this morning - cracking little bird.

Attachments

• GP1.jpg
    GP1.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 48
The Spotted Sandpiper was still on the river at Topsham this morning frequenting the area under the M5 bridge. There were also 4 Common Sandpipers there although the Spotted Sand was by itself. It walked out of sight up the channel on the far left of this area whilst I was there although I understand it soon reappeared.
No sign of the Red-breasted Goose though at Blackhill Quarry but 2 adult Med Gulls there. Roger

Leach' Petrels

Surprised how rough a night it was and ambled out to Thurlestone Bay this morning in case any Leach's were around. Parking up at the National Trust carpark 08:30 i gingerly wound the window down and the first two birds i saw out near the rock were Leachs. Soon i noticed another only about 5 metres off the beach. After watching them for a few minutes i went back up the road to ring a few friends. On returning the two were still flying above the surf near the rock but not seen after about 10:00. Some people were going to try for them so hopefully they will reappear.

Last edited:
Leachs Petrel

A 4th Leachs Petrel of the morning was present in Thurlestone Bay from 10.45 - 11.00, in the surf right of the rocks and showing well on and off. Park in the spaces by the kiosk at South Huish Marsh and view from the car. Thanks Perry for getting the news out so quickly.

Sadly no sign of the Grey Phalarope at Northam Burrows this morning during a few hours searching.

Does anyone know anything of the Leach's Petrel over the A361 at Tiverton yesterday? An amazing inland record!

Last edited:
Water Rail on the canal west of Sampford Peverell. It was found by Ray Jones yesterday and showed well today. Yet another canal year tick pushing me to eighty nine. Also six Snipe in the fields. Hope to nail a Redpoll before the year ends.

Red-Breasted Goose

So,the 'unringed, wary and now mobile' Red-Breasted Goose has made it to the Brent Goose flock at Bowling Green today...

So,the 'unringed, wary and now mobile' Red-Breasted Goose has made it to the Brent Goose flock at Bowling Green today...

Hi Mark. If only it had never been spotted at the quarry first, I would probably be trundling down to BGM and merrily ticking away. Mind you, I'd be a bit discouraged when it stayed all summer.

How fickle some of us are!

Actually, it's probably moved because Mallards are such dull company...;)

Red-Breasted Goose

Devon's first acceptable Red-Breasted Goose for 46 years present still with the large Brent Goose flock at the end of Bowling Green lane viewable from the path to the viewing platform.

There is every chance that this bird is the regular South Coast bird present over the last few winters ranging from Sussex, Hampshire and Dorset with all records already accepted by BBRC.

Nice to hear that the Seaton boys are even making the effort over the weekend for this star billing.

Hi Mark.

Is it showing within a decent enough range to get a picture? Closer than it was on the quarry?

Cheers,
Andrew.

West Charleton Marsh

Marsh looking pretty good with a couple new scrapes recently created though some reed cutting has to be done soon to get the most out of them. This morning a combination of the high tide and strong wind had forced a couple hundred Curlew on there along with an out of place perhaps wintering Whimbrel. Elsewhere on the marsh were at least 20 each of Teal and Wigeon and single Bar-tailed Godwit and Greenshank. Nothing much noted on the estuary which was fairly blown out.

Red-crested Pochard again on Wrafton Pond this morning.

Any news on the flock of Chaffinches at Mamhead this winter? And if so any Bramblings with them? They seem to be in short supply up north here!

Jon

The canal between Manley & Crownhill (near Halberton) had a few nice birds including five Meadow Pipits, a Kingfisher, a Reed Bunting, a Chiffchaff and twelve Siskin. No Redpolls with the Siskins sadly.

Two small pics of the Spot Sand at Topsham yesterday....

Attachments

• Spot Sand 01.jpg
    Spot Sand 01.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 50
  • Spot Sand 06.jpg
    Spot Sand 06.jpg
    218.3 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Red-Crested Pochard

Still there this afternoon too!!

Attachments

• d90 braunton 61209 042.jpg
    d90 braunton 61209 042.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 27
  • d90 braunton 61209 051.jpg
    d90 braunton 61209 051.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 29
  • d90 braunton 61209 053.jpg
    d90 braunton 61209 053.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 30
  • d90 braunton 61209 055.jpg
    d90 braunton 61209 055.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 29
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back