• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Devon Birding (4 Viewers)

Pictures

Hi guys,

I'm trying to upload some pictures, but my files are massive compared to the size lim8-it!

Any tips on how to shrink the size of your file or do something to get them uploaded ?

Thanks, Mark.:C

Hi guys,

I'm trying to upload some pictures, but my files are massive compared to the size lim8-it!

Any tips on how to shrink the size of your file or do something to get them uploaded ?

Thanks, Mark.:C
It depends on which software you are using but basically for web size images you resize so that the longest side is around 800 pixels and then you save as a jpeg at a quality that gives you a file size of under 200 KB (with Photoshop this would be a jpeg of around 6 to 8 quality).
What software are you using for processing you images?

It depends on which software you are using but basically for web size images you resize so that the longest side is around 800 pixels and then you save as a jpeg at a quality that gives you a file size of under 200 KB (with Photoshop this would be a jpeg of around 6 to 8 quality).
What software are you using for processing you images?

Hi Roy,

Thanks for the info I'll have a stab at it! I've only taken a handful of shots(absolute beginner), so I havent really been doing anything with them, but I do have a few shots on Photoshop.

Cheers , Mark

Had a walk around Wistlandpound this morning. Took all my heavy photography gear but hardly saw anything apart from a few Canada's, Mallards and coot. This afternoon I went to my local patch at Anchor wood bank, Barnstaple and decided to travel light with just a small zoom lens and no tripod etc. Typically when I have not got my birding set-up I almost always come across a nice bird, this time it was a Water Rail - managed to grab a few shots which I managed to screw up on but they are record shots none the less. I had heard there were Water Rail in this particular spot but this was the first time I have seen one - I will return with my Birding gear o:D

Attachments

• rail2.jpg
    rail2.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Hi Maurice, Exactly where is it on the map and how do you get to the spot?

Roy,

Drive out along the marsh road past the round linhay, on to the next turn off left (another private track) stop and look at the Swans. This evening, all the Mutes were by the road, but the Whooper was about 50 yards away. It has an odd lump on it's head!

Jon

Anyone any more info on the Gyr reported from Plymouth today?

Cheers

O

There's a nice very pale, almost white, Buzzard that regularly sits beside the A386 either on a fence post on in a short tree close by. It can be either side of the road near to the Clearbrook turning - it was there early Monday morning. Someone stopped their car a few weeks ago nearly causing an accident whilst the back seat passenger put a long lense out the window and took photos!!
DB

Roy,

Drive out along the marsh road past the round linhay, on to the next turn off left (another private track) stop and look at the Swans. This evening, all the Mutes were by the road, but the Whooper was about 50 yards away. It has an odd lump on it's head!

Jon

I had a good look for the Whooper this morning btwn 07:45 and 09:00 but there was no sign of it in the area of Gallowell Rd (Private Rd). Counted 10 Mutes in area. Anyone seen it since yesterday?

Had a walk around Isley Marsh and Instow this morning. Nothing much on the Marsh because of the very high tide. Number seem to be falling on the High tide roost off the old power station water outlet, just small numbers of the usual stuff like Oytercatchers, Curlew and Redshank. There were around 20 teal and a dozen wigeon on the pond.
Came across a smashing flock of around 50 Sanderling on the second sandhills beach at Instow. For one a dog walker done me a favour ;) - I was snapping the birds from a distance when a couple with a dog headed straight for the flock and put them up, I was just about to swear when the whole flock flew my way and pitched down around 20 yards from me - managed to get a lot of shots before backing off and leaving them to it.
No sign of the Barn Owl or Little Owl at Instow.

Attachments

• sand2.jpg
    sand2.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 58
  • sand4.jpg
    sand4.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 55
  • OC1.jpg
    OC1.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 47
  • red1.jpg
    red1.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 54
Had a walk around Isley Marsh and Instow this morning. Nothing much on the Marsh because of the very high tide. Number seem to be falling on the High tide roost off the old power station water outlet, just small numbers of the usual stuff like Oytercatchers, Curlew and Redshank. There were around 20 teal and a dozen wigeon on the pond.
Came across a smashing flock of around 50 Sanderling on the second sandhills beach at Instow. For one a dog walker done me a favour ;) - I was snapping the birds from a distance when a couple with a dog headed straight for the flock and put them up, I was just about to swear when the whole flock flew my way and pitched down around 20 yards from me - managed to get a lot of shots before backing off and leaving them to it.
No sign of the Barn Owl or Little Owl at Instow.

Hi Roy,
Last week a dog owner asked me at Isley if I`d seen the Snowy Owl on Instow Barton Marsh. I tried to suggest that he`d seen the Barn Owl but he wouldn`t have it, insisting that it was a Snowy. He even said that he`d reported it to none other than Trevor Beer, who replied to him that Yes, there had been a Snowy there last year as well. It`s amazing what Trevor Beer sees in the area but none of the rest of us do. Funny how his sightings never find their way into the Devon Records?

Hi Roy,
Last week a dog owner asked me at Isley if I`d seen the Snowy Owl on Instow Barton Marsh. I tried to suggest that he`d seen the Barn Owl but he wouldn`t have it, insisting that it was a Snowy. He even said that he`d reported it to none other than Trevor Beer, who replied to him that Yes, there had been a Snowy there last year as well. It`s amazing what Trevor Beer sees in the area but none of the rest of us do. Funny how his sightings never find their way into the Devon Records?
Funny enough Maurice I was reading the TB column in the NDJ earlier on today and was thinking the same as you - the birds he has claimed to see at Anchor woods is amazing. I go down there two or three times a week and if I was to see a quarter of the birds he does I would be well chuffed :-O

Funny enough Maurice I was reading the TB column in the NDJ earlier on today and was thinking the same as you - the birds he has claimed to see at Anchor woods is amazing. I go down there two or three times a week and if I was to see a quarter of the birds he does I would be well chuffed :-O

He once claimed to have breeding Cirl Buntings in North Devon, a friend offered him £1,000 pounds to prove this sighting - needless to say his money is still safe!! TB once saw 7 Long-billed Dowitchers all together in North Devon!!!!
I wish I had his binoculars.
But yes I don't think he has ever submitted any of his records to Devon Birds, or the BB rarities Committee.

Jon

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back