• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

"diamond" shaped boxes (1 Viewer)

The theory is that diamond shaped boxes mean that the birds have to collect less nesting material to make their nest with as there is less of a surface area to cover.

I'm not sure what the theory is behind them, but I have been making boxes similar to the commercial ones illustrated for a few years, and they seem inordinately attractive to Robins.
I leave a much larger opening though by only filling in the bottom half of the 'diamond' on the front (i.e. a triangular piece of timber across the horizontal diagonal of the box), as Robins, as far as I am aware, like to be able to see out of the nest when sitting.
I usually put about a 1" deep layer of sawdust in the bottom of the 'vee' to reduce the nesting material required.
Mine have a much greater overhang on the roof towards the front of the box, which I usually make from old roofing slates (they are not that difficult to cut), as this makes the opening much more difficult to see from overhead.

The very first one I put up was occupied 'within hours' by a pair of Robins, who were re-furbishing it ready for a second brood while they were still feeding the first in the garden.

A slack handfull of dried grass, moss or whatever in a new nestbox really does seem to encourage, have put up many over the years and birds seem to prefer a head start as it were or maybe its more attractive.

Stewart

Birdnut said:
I'm not sure what the theory is behind them, but I have been making boxes similar to the commercial ones illustrated for a few years, and they seem inordinately attractive to Robins.
I leave a much larger opening though by only filling in the bottom half of the 'diamond' on the front (i.e. a triangular piece of timber across the horizontal diagonal of the box), as Robins, as far as I am aware, like to be able to see out of the nest when sitting.
I usually put about a 1" deep layer of sawdust in the bottom of the 'vee' to reduce the nesting material required.
Mine have a much greater overhang on the roof towards the front of the box, which I usually make from old roofing slates (they are not that difficult to cut), as this makes the opening much more difficult to see from overhead.

The very first one I put up was occupied 'within hours' by a pair of Robins, who were re-furbishing it ready for a second brood while they were still feeding the first in the garden.

any chance of some measurements/plans please?

I spent all morning up a ladder in the freezing cold putting fresh hay and sawdust in all 7 of my nestboxes and guess what two minutes later i see a blue tit turfing it all back out!!!

Diamond shaped nest boxes are easier to make (made 3 at the weekend) as they use 6 squares (vairying sizes) all with 90 degree cuts and no beveled edges.

hayfieldgolfer said:
Diamond shaped nest boxes are easier to make (made 3 at the weekend) as they use 6 squares (vairying sizes) all with 90 degree cuts and no beveled edges.
So do square or rectangular boxes. Diamond shape may be ok for some but in my experience some birds want boxes that are deeper and it seems to me that this would be difficult to build in the diamond shape.

Martin_H said:
I'll join the line-up for the publication of the measurements/plans.

Front and back both 150mm square
Bottom two sides both 120mm wide, one 150mm long other 150mm long less thickness of wood.
Roof both 180 to 200mm wide, one 160mm long other 160mm long plus width of wood. Roof should overhang front and ends

Holes 28mm for tits 32 or 35mm for sparrows. Half fronts for Robins.
I have used 19mm thick wood

See picture link for examples of bird boxes on retail sites.

Attach both sides to back (longer one first)and each other by nail/screw and or glue.

Attach roof (shorter one first)overhaning front and bottom by same method.

screw front to box (do not glue) so you can remove to clean box out at end of season

Sizes of box can vairy slightly if wood to hand varies. Try not to use treated wood (chemicals). Can paint the outside of box.

Hope this helps

Not sure whether this will be viewable on here, but if not, I can e.mail to anyone interested.

125118129.jpg

You don't need to make the front(s) as shown, two 'backs' can be made and one of them cut across the diagonal (making two fronts) if required.
They just look more natural with the grain running horizontal, that's all.
The roofing slates can be cut very easily with an angle grinder and abrasive disc. Failing that, they can be 'chipped' to the required dimensions with the excess overhanging a paving slab or similar.
If two of the original edges of the slate are used for the ridge joint and the back, a somewhat 'rustic' edge on the sides and front is no detriment at all.

Last edited:
Birdnut

Great diagrams. Have made a Robin nest box but in reading one article is states that Robin nest boxes should be hidden in ivy for protection. I do not have any ivy in the garden but have rose hedging (6 ' high & 2' wide). Would any one know if my hedge would offer the protection the nest needs.

hayfieldgolfer said:
Birdnut

Great diagrams. Have made a Robin nest box but in reading one article is states that Robin nest boxes should be hidden in ivy for protection. I do not have any ivy in the garden but have rose hedging (6 ' high & 2' wide). Would any one know if my hedge would offer the protection the nest needs.

A wall covered in ivy or other creeper, is the absolute ideal, but I have used artificial ivy (plastic) surrounding one I put on a wooden fence, which was occupied on a regular basis.
The rose hedge would certainly offer good protection, and I'm going to try a couple of boxes mounted on a stake, placed in a mixed/hawthorn hedge this year. I shall position them so that the front of the roof overhang is level with the vertical side of the hedge, and far enough down from the top of the hedge, that the outline of the slates is obscured. Robins like an ubobstructed view when sitting, so I shall prune back any leaves/branches which obscure the opening.
I may not get an early nest as they often start building before the bushes are in full leaf, (which is why ivy is so good), but it may give an opportunity to have more than one pair nesting, as they are so territorial.
I have not had too much luck with boxes or artificial sites which are buried too deeply in a hedge, but then, with birds, you never can tell. Last year I had a Great Tit ignore a standard nest box, ideally sited (I thought), only to raise a brood of nine in a broken 3" diameter cast iron downpipe from the garage roof, about 5 metres away from the box.
When they had flown I measured how far down the nest was from the top, --- 470 mm!
How on earth they ever managed to get in and out I will never know, let alone find room for that many young in a 3" diameter circle.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back