• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Diascope Generations (1 Viewer)

Mine cost £619 in 2004 - just found the receipt. I stopped using it regularly in 2019. So 15 years not 12 like I said earlier. Although I may use it again. An absolute bargain.

Hi David

Have you had a bad experience with Diascopes? When I researched them before buying there were many excellent reviews and articles which along with the Zeiss brand reputation, convinced me to buy. Allbinos and respected birders/naturalists gave it superb reviews and in its day (only a few years ago) it was regarded as one of the best scopes.

I'd be surprised if Zeiss, with their quality control, guarantees and high craftsmanship would allow sample variation and questionable quality in such a flagship product.

I've tried Kowa, Nikon, Hawke and Opticron scopes and with the 20x75 zoom I found the 85T*FL to live up to its name as an impressive bit of kit.

Hi Ian,

Didn't had bad experiences personally but read and was told some.
For sample variation importance I use at http://www.pt-ducks.com/cr-telescopes.htm the example with the Diascope discussed here at BF http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=81074

I'm only replying now since at one of my study areas there is a Diascope 85 of last generation, with the 20-75x zoom, and I remember it as "nothing special" - I wanted to recompare it to the X95 this weekend but I didn't had time for doing it...

Regarding the quality construction issues, these had been mentioned also at BF. The first generation Diascope was "very popular" in Portugal and several owners told me several issues.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back