• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

eyepiece for zeiss Diascope 85 T* FL LT 3.3"/85mm Spotting Scope? (1 Viewer)

Jeff51

Supporter
United States
hi, have the chance to buy a Diascope 85 T* locally at a good price in good condition. it's the older, pre-2010 version I think, and it's just the scope -- it doesn't have an eyepiece.

much appreciate advice on a good eyepiece for that scope, 20-60 wide angle zoom if possible.

also much appreciate thoughts on the scope from people who have used it. because it doesn't have an eyepiece, I wouldn't be able to try it before buying it.

many thanks for the help and advice, Jeff

Jeff,

I would try any eyepiece I have that fits in the scope even loosely to try the scope before buying.

Say a 8mm or 10mm astro eyepiece.
If necessary remove the barrel of an astro eyepiece if it is a simple design without lenses in the front barrel.

I actually use 6mm, 9mm or 12mm in 24.5mm (0.965 inch) fit Japanese orthos.
Or Swift similar versions.

Regards,
B.

Binastro's suggestions will work for testing the body, which is essential because there were quite a few lemons among the old Diascope units.

There are a few options for finding eyepieces that will fit the scope. First, of course, are the old Diascope eyepieces, which are the only eyepieces with the correct bayonet for the body. Any Zeiss eyepiece made for either the original Diascope or the replacement model will fit. There were two zooms, 20-60x and 20-75x as well as 30x and 40x fixed wide field eyepieces. Zeiss also made an adapter that allows 1.25" eyepieces to fit, but some of those might not reach infinity focus. None of those eyepieces or the adapter is still made, so you'll have to try the used market to find them.

The excellent Baader Hyperion MK IV zoom will also fit by using Baader's 45mm adapter ring for the Diascope. It has approximately the same magnification range and AFOV as the original Zeiss 20x60 zoom. Unlike the old Zeiss eyepieces it's available new.

many many thanks for these very helpful replies. I'll pass on this one, because the investment in the eyepiece to test the scope sounds like a chancy one. thanks for sharing the knowledge and expertise, Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back