• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Did i really see a black swan? (1 Viewer)

Rygh

United States
Sooo. I live in the north west. North tip of idaho. And i just watched a black sean fly over. Id never heard of them before but it was a black swan. White wingtips. And it was with three tundra swans.
Any ideas on where it came from? Are they ever seen?

Hello again,

I dont know how rare they are in the US, but one benefit from birdfourm is, that many birdlovers from all around the world can help. So more comments will surely come. Thanks from me, too!

Hi Rygh and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators. I moved your post to the rather more appropriate Bird ID forum, where it should attract more replies. You can read more about Black Swans here, in our Opus article: Black Swan - BirdForum Opus.

Along with many other species, Black Swans have been held in wildfowl collections all over the world; so of course many escape and start to live in the wild. While never a common sight, you can come across them occasionally.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Last edited:
Cool! How rare are they?

In Idaho? Even rarer than in most of the US, which is already extremely rare. The nearest sighting this year (according to E-Bird, which is usually pretty reliable for the US) was near Portland, Oregon. That's not a big distance for a swan (Tundras migrate over your area from Alaska on their way to California) but it does show that the numbers are extremely low.

Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back