• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Wheatear in South Wales? (2 Viewers)

hopster

Wales
Hi all

Another bird ID question from a relative novice to less common species.

On a roof behind my back garden the other day, a bird I didn't recognise. The best description I can give is a Wheatear (taken from pictures in books, I don't know it) but with a charcoal grey (or at least uniformly dark but not as dark as face) body both back and breast. It also had a black face, a reddy-brown tip of the tail, bright white patches on the flanks and/or the wings.

The only thing I can find online is a Black Wheatear but this is meant to be a bird from Southern Spain and North Africa apparently. Do they ever appear in South Wales or is this something else?

TIA

M

I do have a couple of books: the observers book of birds from my youth (probably the oldest book I have on my shelf) and a readers digest book which is pretty chunky. They have a lot of information in them but perhaps the images are not always great. Many of the images in the observers book are actually B&W or colour drawings! These are lovely but maybe not ideal for IDing birds.

Is there one that you would recommend and if so is it a pocket guide you take with you or a reference book for studying at home?

Is there one that you would recommend and if so is it a pocket guide you take with you or a reference book for studying at home?
Collins Bird Guide - absolutely the number one field guide for Britain and Europe. It's not going to fit in your pocket, but really is not big at all.

It's also available as an app for your phone.

Congratulations on Black Redstart - although often an urban bird, it is a pretty good bird for a garden in the UK.

Hi Hopster. A field guide is always a good idea but there’s always members who will try to help as well. Collins (as others have mentioned) is a good one but Britain’s Birds is also excellent

Black Redstart is a great garden bird. They often overwinter down by the Dr Who experience in Cardiff Bay. And I was lucky enough to have one overwinter on our office roof in Carmarthen.

Rich

Thanks for the tips guys. I have ordered the pocket Britain's Birds and will maybe take a look at the Collins for a home reference.

I prefer books to apps, we all spend far too much time looking at screens already. I still use a good map in the car rather than GPS unless I really have no idea where I'm going and am in a hurry. It doesn't need a GPS or mobile signal or batteries!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back