• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Different birds - Trip to South Eastern Europe (1 Viewer)

manwa47

Germany
Dear fellow birders,

since I'm only a beginner, I hope some of you can solve or confirm the identity of some birds I photographed during a trip from Austria to Montenegro and back.

1. Lake Skadar, Montenegro: Is it a house sparrow? looked and sounded different.
2. Lake Skadar, Montenegro: Common wheatear?
3. Lake Skadar: No idea!
4. Northern Montenegro: Golden Eagle because of the long tail?
5. Northern Montenegro: Some harrier? Marsh harrier?
6. Forest in Southern Serbia. No idea
7. Forest in Southern Serbia, probably chiffchaff? Seems quite yellowish to me
8. Forest in Southern Serbia, probably chiffchaff?
9. Southern Hungary. Minor woodpecker?
10. Slovakia, Jasna Valley. Chiffchaff?
11. Slovakia, Jasna Valley. Meadow pipit?
12. Slovakia, Jasna Valley. Lesser spotted eagle?

Sorry for the huge quantity of photos. Thank you so much for helping me out!

Best regards,
Manuel

Attachments

• sparrow.jpg
    sparrow.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 86
  • wheatear.jpg
    wheatear.jpg
    446 KB · Views: 82
  • passerine 2.jpg
    passerine 2.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 90
  • golden eagle.jpg
    golden eagle.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 89
  • hawk.jpg
    hawk.jpg
    216.2 KB · Views: 89
  • passerine.jpg
    passerine.jpg
    265.7 KB · Views: 80
  • warbler 3.jpg
    warbler 3.jpg
    322.3 KB · Views: 73
  • warbler2.jpg
    warbler2.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 79
  • woodpecker.jpg
    woodpecker.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 82
  • warbler.jpg
    warbler.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 80
  • pipit.jpg
    pipit.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 73
  • eagle_2.jpg
    eagle_2.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 82
1. House sparrow or Spanish sparrow. They sound much the same.
2. Northern wheatear.
3. Black-eared wheatear.
4. I guess it's golden eagle, though I wouldn't rule out imperial eagle.
5. Honey buzzard.
7. Wood warbler.

Hello Manuel,

10 is either a Chiffchaff or a Willow Warbler. I would favour Chiffchaff but those early autumn moulting birds are hard, at lest for me.

9 is either a Lesser=Minor Spotted Woodpecker or a Middle Spotted WP. When I saw the thumbnail, I thought its a Lesser by
  • general jizz, including tiny bill
  • the way it perches on a narrow, vertical branch (yes, this came into my mind)
After looking at the pictures fullscreen, I thought: it has the right open-faced impression of a Middle, but then I realized, that this is enhanced/shifted by picture quality (no offense as always) and something seems not right. I cant find the reason, but the white spots on the shoulder are good for a Lesser and not good for a Middle.
Yes, I try to defend my jizz-Id, but I am in the Lesser-camp here.

11 looks good for a Lesser Spotted Eagle for me, too.

Just one more question from me regarding picture 2:
what are the features, that eliminate a Black-eared Wheatear? Is it just the long pp? I learned much from other threads here. and I hope, here too. Thanks!

1. House sparrow or Spanish sparrow. They sound much the same.
2. Northern wheatear.
3. Black-eared wheatear.
4. I guess it's golden eagle, though I wouldn't rule out imperial eagle.
5. Honey buzzard.
7. Wood warbler.
I'd go for Spanish sparrow. I feel the black is more extensive than you'd expect in an equivalent house sparrow and (if we can believe the photo) the crown looks rufous.

Hello Manuel,

10 is either a Chiffchaff or a Willow Warbler. I would favour Chiffchaff but those early autumn moulting birds are hard, at lest for me.

9 is either a Lesser=Minor Spotted Woodpecker or a Middle Spotted WP. When I saw the thumbnail, I thought its a Lesser by
  • general jizz, including tiny bill
  • the way it perches on a narrow, vertical branch (yes, this came into my mind)
After looking at the pictures fullscreen, I thought: it has the right open-faced impression of a Middle, but then I realized, that this is enhanced/shifted by picture quality (no offense as always) and something seems not right. I cant find the reason, but the white spots on the shoulder are good for a Lesser and not good for a Middle.
Yes, I try to defend my jizz-Id, but I am in the Lesser-camp here.

11 looks good for a Lesser Spotted Eagle for me, too.

Just one more question from me regarding picture 2:
what are the features, that eliminate a Black-eared Wheatear? Is it just the long pp? I learned much from other threads here. and I hope, here too. Thanks!
I'm also not sure that the Wheatear in Photo 2 is a Northern as opposed to another Black-eared. More photos would help if available.

Unfortunately, that's the only photo I was able to take, sorry. But photos 2 und 3 were taken just a few meters away from each other, probably that helps.
Are Northern and Black-eared Wheatear living in the same habitat?

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back