• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Difficulty identifying a bird - Nova Scotia (1 Viewer)

nsmisfit

Canada
Good day all.
I'm hoping someone can help me identify a large bird i saw this morning. I went on Merlin and didn't find what I was looking for. Then entered the description in Google with no positive results. Now I turn to you.
What I saw was a large, seemingly ground bird as i didnt see it fly, it was walking around my neighbors lawn out in the county. The body was mixes browns. I believe the identifier would be the black neck and head with large oval red patches around the eyes. It didn't make any sound. Just wandered off into the bushes.
If anyone is able to help, I would appreciate it greatly. I'm sure it's a common bird, but I just can't seem to place it.
Thank you in advance!!

Agreed, probably a male Spruce Grouse. See what you think:

Agree that spruce grouse is a good match for the description given. I would expect to see one in or very near a dense stand of spruce or fir rather than on an open lawn, but in Nova Scotia your lawn might be surrounded by taiga, so it's definitely possible.
Another possibility might be a ring-necked pheasant. In dull light the head and neck could look black, and the body dull brown. But since you said "red ovals around the eyes" and not "big red patches on the face", I'm guessing you saw a spruce grouse.

Thank you everyone for the ideas. Also, thank you for the welcoming to the group. I hope maybe some day I'll be able to help someone.
I've looked into the spruce grouse, and looked over many photos of them and I have to say I'm not convinced that's what I saw, but a very good suggestion.
The bird i saw was about the size of the spruce grouse, but it was browns instead of blacks and the neck/head was solid black, unlike that of the grouse. Also, the red patches around the eyes were much larger than what I've seen in pictures of the spruce grouse.
I don't wish to say that I think someone is wrong, it's just that I'm not convinced from the many pictures I've looked at, and none resemble what I saw.
As to the possibility of a ring necked pheasant, that is what I first wondered as well, but again, through many pictures looked at, none looked like what I saw.
Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I do appreciate the help.
.....any other suggestions? (With a smile)

Is it possible,..(I havent seen any) that a ring necked pheasant could not have the white ring? The eyes patches are similar, but the feathers on the the pheasant are darker and more rich than that of the bird I was looking at. The colors i was seeing resembled more of a female pheasant.

Again, thank you everyone.

Speaking of domestication, there is at least one other possibility that is often found near rural backyards, is the right size, often has a big red patch on the face, and comes in a wide variety of colors but often has a contrast between head/neck and body:

gallus domesticus

I originally suggested Spruce Grouse, but now I do agree that it sounds more like a pheasant (which would be much more common).

Well dang.... I thought I located some special undocumented feathered creature..haha..
Well, now I can say I've seen a variation of a common pheasant, thanks to you all.
Again, I very much appreciate the feedback. This forum is much more helpful than others I've participated in. I'll continue to monitor this one. I feel I could learn a lot here.
Thank you!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back