• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with the Nikon V1 (1 Viewer)

Tarsiger,

I have the same camera and lens which I attach to my Swarovski ATS 80 HD with 20-60x zoom with a DCA adaptor.

As Bitterroot Birds mentioned, always shoot at full aperture in A mode, increasing the ISO if need be to obtain as fast a shutter speed as possible. Using the electronic shutter helps to minimize camera shake but be aware that you will probably find that you shoot far more pics than needed unless you activate the shutter "sound" in the menu. In "normal" mode the electronic shutter shoots at 10fps and is silent. For distant subjects (more than twenty metres) if time allows, best results I find are by using manual focus with the built-in magnifier as the centre autofocus area is too large to pinpoint the exact spot.

I purchased a third-party wireless remote which works well for both stills and video. The only downside is that you can only shoot one frame at a time which is an annoyance.

As yet I do not have a FT1 adaptor but do use my Canon lenses (100-400 and 300) with a third-party adaptor. The exposure has to be set manually as does the focus, but I have achieved some good results so far whilst using a tripod for added stability.

Battery life is very good, obviously depending on how much autofocusing and video you do.

Mike

Bitterroot and Mike (Sandpiper).

Thanks to you both for your comments.

Sandpiper - I've also got a Canon 100-400; which 3rd party adaptor do you use?

Russ

Niko V1 and Swarovski DCA

Hello.
I am waiting for the Nikon V1+10-30 ocular that I will attach to Swarovski ATS 80 HD with x20-60 ocular. My idea is to attached using the ring 40.5/52 to adapt the V1 to Sw. My question is if the vignetting of this solution is ok for digiscoping.

Hello Delfingofe,

Welcome to BirdForum. You will find much useful information on this great website and everyone is friendly.

I use the same camera and lens with the same scope and zoom eyepiece. They are attached with a 40.5/52 mm stepping ring connected to a Swarovski DCA adaptor which fits over the scope eyepiece.

If you remove the rubber eyecup on the scope eyepiece there is almost no vignetting if you leave the camera lens at full aperture (f/5.6). If you do not remove the eyecup there is a little vignetting between 30x and 60x but it can be removed by cropping the image slightly.

Good luck with your digiscoping, the V1 and Swarovski scope make a very good outfit.

Mike

Hello Delfingofe

With the 20x eyepiece, there is no vignetting from 24-30mm.
With the eyepiece to 30-60 there is slight vignetting at 24mm. At 30mm the vignetting goes away. Under 24mm, vignetting becomes stronger. Very good are the WW eyepieces 30x and 45x. These eyepieces there is no vignetting from 15-30mm

First picture with V1

This is my first picture with Nikon V1.

Swarovski AT 80 HD, ocular 20-60, without adapter, AF-S: Cloudy

Attachments

• Abejaruco Europeo 2web.jpg
    Abejaruco Europeo 2web.jpg
    347.1 KB · Views: 347
OK, thanks. I started digiscoping about two weeks ago and without knowing the distance to objects, I find it difficult to judge the quality of my photographs compared to pictures of other photographers.

I mean.
Focus mode
Exposure Mode
Shutter type
etc.

Today I took the first picture I am happy with the results.
Regards
Delfín

Hi Delfin,

Now I understand your question. Look at Post 181 above, hopefully that will answer your question.

AF area set to centre, AF-A or Manual; Exposure AV at full aperture to give fastest shutter speed; Electronic shutter with sound effect "on"; ISO between 400-1600 depending on light.

Great pic of the Bee-eater by the way.

Mike

Delfin,

Congratulations! Your Bee-eater video is excellent. You have mastered the V1 very well in such a short time. Looking forward to seeing more of your work very soon.

Mike

Managed to get a close-up shot (no crop) of this Rufous-collared Kingfisher with the V1/Nikon 82mm ED Fieldscope/DSA-N1 combo.

It was rather dark in the jungle (due to the canopy) and despite setting ISO to 800 to get a 1/5s exposure, the results was pretty good.

The subject was extremely cooperative though by staying motionless for long period of time (its usual behaviour) but the V1 seems to be able to handle high ISO pretty well as compared to the compacts.

Attachments

• 9026286836_8c7d3963db_z.jpg
    9026286836_8c7d3963db_z.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 285
A beautiful shot, SeeToh. I have had good results digiscoping with my V1 at 1600 ISO. Take a look at my recent Garganey pic in my gallery.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back