• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with the Nikon V1 (1 Viewer)

A beautiful shot, SeeToh. I have had good results digiscoping with my V1 at 1600 ISO. Take a look at my recent Garganey pic in my gallery.

Mike

Hi Mike

Nice shot of the Garganey despite the tough shooting condition. I have not really tried shooting at ISO1600 but will give it a shot when I get another close encounter with an obliging subject again;)

By the way, do you shoot with the wireless remote shutter and what legs are you using to support the setup? Also, do you shoot in manual focus mode?

Cheers

See Toh

Hi See Toh,

Glad you liked my Garganey pic, the bird thankfully remained still for several seconds allowing me to get the shot in failing light.

I do frequently use a wireless remote for digi/videoscoping. It does help to reduce camera shake (particularly when start-stopping in video mode) but the only downside is it will only allow me to take one shot at a time.

My tripod setup is a Manfrotto 055MF3 magfiber with a 501 HDV head.

With the V1 set to centre point AF I find that it sometimes locks focus on nearby twigs or other close objects due to the relatively large focusing area. This is most evident beyond a range of twenty metres. I find that using manual focus solves the problem assuming I have time to change the setting if the subject stays long enough. In manual focus mode press the "OK" button to activate the magnifier then fine-tune focus via the scope focusing ring rather than the wheel on the camera.

Best wishes,

Mike

Mike

Agreed with you that shooting at manual mode is the best option as the auto-focus fine-tuning of the V1 is not always trusthworthy. I have encountered instances where the auto-focus fine-tunning actually messed up the correct focus which was obtained manually.

With a cooperative subject, activating the magnifier to further fine-tune the focus is a great advantage of manual focus as against auto-focus mode.

Shooting single shots with the wireless remote is really a pain.

Cheers and happy birding

See Toh

I have a problem with the exposure. If I select Exposure mode A and I changed from F5.6 to F16, for example, I obtain different exposures level on the picture,.
See the pictures.
Is this normal?
Delfín

Attachments

• DSC_0860Web.jpg
    DSC_0860Web.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 292
  • DSC_0866Web.jpg
    DSC_0866Web.jpg
    448.4 KB · Views: 294
Yes, that's normal, at least in my experience. Best to just leave the aperture at its widest, so you know where you are.

David

Caprimulgus ruficollis, Red-necked Nightjar.
Nikon V1+DCA+Swarovski+Remore shutter.
F5,6, 1/500, ISO 100.
Distance: 10 m, sunny.
Paracuellos del Jarama, Madrid, Spain

Attachments

• Chotacabras Cuellirrojo 17web.jpg
    Chotacabras Cuellirrojo 17web.jpg
    370.1 KB · Views: 342
Is it possible to manually focus this camera? (I have the 10-30mm lens attached)

Does it have a macro mode?

I thought it did both, but can't make it do either...

Not very impressed so far..:-C

..but hopefully user error - very familiar with the Coolpix range, but this seems a step backwards in many ways.

thanks, alan

Alan
Don't panic. There is a MF Mode. Go to MENU and look for FOCUS MODE - MF is the last option.
No dedicated Macro Mode though but the lenses do focus close.
Neil.

Is it possible to manually focus this camera? (I have the 10-30mm lens attached)

Does it have a macro mode?

I thought it did both, but can't make it do either...

Not very impressed so far..:-C

..but hopefully user error - very familiar with the Coolpix range, but this seems a step backwards in many ways.

thanks, alan

Alan
Don't panic. There is a MF Mode. Go to MENU and look for FOCUS MODE - MF is the last option.
No dedicated Macro Mode though but the lenses do focus close.
Neil.

Neil

Thanks, I had found the MF mode. My problem is then How to focus the picture! I turn the lens - that only zooms the 10-30mm zoom in / out. How do you actually focus the picture when you are in the correct (MF) mode?! I don't think I've ever owned a camera with a manual focussing mode where this wasn't by turning a ring on the lens.

Also, the camera seems to be very warm, almost as if it is overheating. Is this usual on the V1? I've never known it with any other compacts or DSLRs.

thanks,
alan

Neil

Thanks, I had found the MF mode. My problem is then How to focus the picture! I turn the lens - that only zooms the 10-30mm zoom in / out. How do you actually focus the picture when you are in the correct (MF) mode?! I don't think I've ever owned a camera with a manual focussing mode where this wasn't by turning a ring on the lens.

Also, the camera seems to be very warm, almost as if it is overheating. Is this usual on the V1? I've never known it with any other compacts or DSLRs.

thanks,
alan

Alan
After selecting MF in the menu you press the OK button and digital zoom kicks in to make it easy to focus either the camera lens or the scope.
The camera does get hot and sometimes when shooting video it switches off for about 20 mins to cool down.
Neil

Hi all,

I have a Swaro ATM 65mm HD scope with 25-50 zoom, and a Nikon V1 with 10-30mm zoom. I have never attempted to marry to two together, but reading this thread it looks like I should!

I have an Opticron UCA digiscoping adaptor (which I had with and old scope and camera and gave poor results).

Is the Opticron adaptor going to work with the Swaro & V1? If I need to get a new adapter, which would be the best to look at getting (I have the Nikon FT-1 adapter for DSLR lenses, so the TSL APO would be possible, if desirable).

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Dave

Dave,

This is all I use, a sleeve and step up ring to 40.5mm for the V1. I use a Nikon remote shutter release as well.

Attachments

• Digi_V1.jpg
    Digi_V1.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 289
Alan
After selecting MF in the menu you press the OK button and digital zoom kicks in to make it easy to focus either the camera lens or the scope.
The camera does get hot and sometimes when shooting video it switches off for about 20 mins to cool down.
Neil

Neil

Thanks again; when you say "make it easy to focus either the camera lens", how do you do this?

I can make the zoom go in and out BUT even with the |F mode applied have not idea how to focus the camera. The zoom and and the manual focus are surely two different things? Apologies if this is almost beyond belief! I can't believe it either.

cheers, alan

Neil

Thanks again; when you say "make it easy to focus either the camera lens", how do you do this?

I can make the zoom go in and out BUT even with the |F mode applied have not idea how to focus the camera. The zoom and and the manual focus are surely two different things? Apologies if this is almost beyond belief! I can't believe it either.

cheers, alan

Alan
Time for you to read the manual.
The lens focus in MF mode is the dial around the OK button. You circle it in a clockwise or anticlockwise direction.
Neil.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back