• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with the Nikon V1 (1 Viewer)

Alan
Time for you to read the manual.
The lens focus in MF mode is the dial around the OK button. You circle it in a clockwise or anticlockwise direction.
Neil.

Thanks, you are right but I couldn't find it in the manual
A bit fiddly, but I'll guess I'll get used to it - rather than sell the camera after one day (which was last night's plan..)!

cheers, alan

Alan,

When digiscoping with the V1 in Manual Focus mode, I press the OK button to activate the focus magnifier then focus by using the focus ring on the scope. There is no need to touch the ring on the back of the camera unless you wish to fine tune the focus. Personally I find the autofocus on the V1 a bit "iffy" beyond ten metres, so I prefer to manually focus if time and the subject allows.

Mike

My first effort at digiscoping is attached. Taken this morning in overcast conditions using a Nikon V1 handheld to the 25-50x zoom e.p. of my Swaro 65 HD.

Quite pleased with it given that the Pond Heron was probably at 50 meters range, and the light was less than perfect. I have cropped the image and made some slight adjustments (sharpening, contrast).

Now to get myself an adapter...

Attachments

• DSC_5065-3.jpg
    DSC_5065-3.jpg
    358.9 KB · Views: 354
My first effort at digiscoping is attached. Taken this morning in overcast conditions using a Nikon V1 handheld to the 25-50x zoom e.p. of my Swaro 65 HD.

Quite pleased with it given that the Pond Heron was probably at 50 meters range, and the light was less than perfect. I have cropped the image and made some slight adjustments (sharpening, contrast).

Now to get myself an adapter...

Nice. You should be happy with this.
Neil.

The V1 really can handle high ISO. Shot this White-rumped Shama in low light condition at ISO 3200 and very satisfied with the result. Shot with V1/Nikon 82mm ED Fieldscope/DSA-N1 combo. Settings: 1458mm ISO3200 1/13s f/6.6 -2/3EV.

Attachments

• 9651430955_030c901447_c.jpg
    9651430955_030c901447_c.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 499
A beautiful image at this high ISO setting. I am really pleased with my V1 and have had more "keepers" since I started using it compared to my previous digiscoping cameras.

Keep up the good work!

Mike

The V1 really can handle high ISO. Shot this White-rumped Shama in low light condition at ISO 3200 and very satisfied with the result. Shot with V1/Nikon 82mm ED Fieldscope/DSA-N1 combo. Settings: 1458mm ISO3200 1/13s f/6.6 -2/3EV.

I can see why you would be pleased. Lovely image.
Neil.

Does the Nikon v1 work with the swaro DCA adapter.

Regards Gerard.

Very well Gerard.
The V1 lenses have a 40.5 thread so you need a converter to 52 mm. Hanging the camera off a straight scope wasn't a problem for me.
Neil

Last edited:
Thanks Neil. Does the step up ring/converter come with the dca set up or is it a seperate buy like the ur-21 for the p6000.

Regards Gerard.

Thanks Neil. Does the step up ring/converter come with the dca set up or is it a seperate buy like the ur-21 for the p6000.

Regards Gerard.

Gerard,
It's not a standard ring so you'll have to buy one off the internet if you don't have a serious camera store nearby.
Neil.

Gerard,
It's not a standard ring so you'll have to buy one off the internet if you don't have a serious camera store nearby.
Neil.

Thanks Neil.:t: I see on Nikon rumours there might be a new Nikon 1 coming out so hopefully the price of the older v1 will drop further.

Regards Gerard.

Digiscoped this Blue-eared Kingfisher with the V1/82mm Fieldscope/DSA-N1 setup at a forest stream in the evening.

Settings: 1458mm ISO3200 1/10s f/6.6 -2/3EV.

The dark background seems to make the image appeared much more noisy.

Attachments

• 9773653274_3de5842dce_z.jpg
    9773653274_3de5842dce_z.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 318
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back