• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with the Nikon V1 (1 Viewer)

Chan sifu

The image is very nice. Mind sharing the settings with us?

Regards

See Toh

Thanks See Toh.

The following is the setting of my V1 (with 10-30mm zoom lens) in digiscoping.

exposure mode :A
image quality : raw
continues : S
Shutter type : E
metering: Matrix
White Balance : auto (with correction A1M1)
ISO : normally 100-200
picture control : SD
Active d-lighting, Long ex NR, high ISO NR : all OFF
AF area mode :single point

I use Nikon NX2 to process the raw file.

Apart form a good lens, the most important of all is a rigid tripod setup and using cable release to avoid vibration.

Attachments

• P1030770.jpg
    P1030770.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 400
Is anyone using a V1 with 11-27.5mm lens on a Kowa 883 with the new 25-60x ep and DA10 digiscoping adapter? I understand that the eye relief on the Kowa zoom is a fairly constant 17mm and would like to know how this works out in terms of vignetting.
Cheers.

David

Failing that, has anyone tried digiscoping with the 10-30mm on the Kowa 88* 25-60x zoom? I'm particularly interested in the extent of vignetting (if any) in the 35-60x range of the eyepiece.

David

Super sharp image for such long focal length. Nice clean BG too.

Could you mind sharing what's the ISO and also how much you have cropped the image?

New Nikon 32mm F1.2

Has anyone testet the new Nikon 32mm F1.2 for digiscoping ?
32mm seems to be a good magnification for a 30x Scope.
52mm filter fits best an a tube and inner focus with 52mm filter is more stable then the 10-30mm kit zoom

I was looking back over some shots from 2011 and found one of my early shots with the V1. I was so close and there was a bit of vignetting with the 10mm lens that needed cropped out. Here is the original size and the cropped version.
There was some discussion about the id as it could have been a Pale Blue Flycatcher at first glance but finally opinion came down on the side of a female Verditer Flycatcher.
Neil

Nikon V1 plus Nikon 10 mm lens and Kowa Lens/scope with 30x eyepiece and UCA adapter
Hong Kong,
China,
November 2011

Attachments

• verditer flycatcher V1 orig_DSC7208.jpg
    verditer flycatcher V1 orig_DSC7208.jpg
    198.3 KB · Views: 221
  • verditer flycatcher V1 crop c_DSC7208.jpg
    verditer flycatcher V1 crop c_DSC7208.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 256
Is anyone using a V1 with 11-27.5mm lens on a Kowa 883 with the new 25-60x ep and DA10 digiscoping adapter? I understand that the eye relief on the Kowa zoom is a fairly constant 17mm and would like to know how this works out in terms of vignetting.
Cheers.

David

Hello David,
To your question I can't answer.
But my question to you,how do jou like the new eypiece bij Kowa the 25-60w??,can I still use the TSN-A10 adapter.??

gr.Frans Lebens.

Hello David,
To your question I can't answer.
But my question to you,how do jou like the new eypiece bij Kowa the 25-60w??,can I still use the TSN-A10 adapter.??

gr.Frans Lebens.

Hello Frans. I've only just got the 883 and 25-60x and have only had a couple of quick looks through it but so far I'm very happy with the view. I haven't yet received the DA-10 but am assured that it fits on the new zoom. The question is: will it allow the lens to get close enough to the eyepiece to eliminate vignetting? Hand-holding my Nikon V1 and 11-27.5mm up to the the eyepiece gives me hope that it'll work at the 27.5mm end at least.

David

Digiscoped this Blue-winged Pitta in low light condition with the Nikon V1/82mm ED Fieldscope/DSA-N1 combo.

Settings: 1458mm ISO3200 1/30s f/6.6 -2/3EV.

Attachments

• 10311820136_a7c98a0263_z.jpg
    10311820136_a7c98a0263_z.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 524
To answer my earlier question: the V1 with 11-27.5mm lens seems to work very well on the Kowa 883 with new 25-60x ep and DA10 digiscoping adapter. Yay!

David

Someone is using this objetive for digiscoping:
1 NIKKOR 32mm f/1.2

I'm sure it's a nice lens, especially for portraits, but it's magnification (32 x 2.7 = 87 mm ) would be too much for most eyepieces. On a 20 - 60 zoom it's range would be 1740 - 5220 mm . I like to start digiscoping around 1200 mm and up to 3,000 mm is maneagable in most situations , but over that is difficult.
You need a heavy tripod and good light.
Neil.

Hi all,

I am fairly new to posting here so should introduce myself first. I have been dabbling in digiscoping for a few years and have gone through an few cameras, mostly from advice found here. Currently using a nikon v1 with the 10-30mm kit lens coupled to my swarovski ats80 with a dca.

Have had a good dig for the answer to this but if its there I have missed it. I am considering getting the nikkor 18.5/1.8 to use with the swaro Dca and 25-50 eyepiece on a ats80 and wondered if anybody knows if there is any vignetting? On paper looks like a good combo. Any help greatly received.

Thanks
Neil

Hi all,

I am fairly new to posting here so should introduce myself first. I have been dabbling in digiscoping for a few years and have gone through an few cameras, mostly from advice found here. Currently using a nikon v1 with the 10-30mm kit lens coupled to my swarovski ats80 with a dca.

Have had a good dig for the answer to this but if its there I have missed it. I am considering getting the nikkor 18.5/1.8 to use with the swaro Dca and 25-50 eyepiece on a ats80 and wondered if anybody knows if there is any vignetting? On paper looks like a good combo. Any help greatly received.

Thanks
Neil

Neil,
Glad to see another Neil in the Forum.
I recently started a V2 thread in this Forum using the 18.5 mm lens. No vignetting with any of the eyepieces I've tried. Same on the V1 . It's a nice lens and I now prefer it to the zoom lenses. If I need more magnification I just zoom the eyepiece.
Neil.

I took the V1 and the Nex 6 out with me today. I hadn't used the V1 for a while. It had the 11-27.5 mm lens.
Once again I found this combo on the Swarovski STX 95 mm Scope to be a bit much when digiscoping spoonbills and egrets at 15 - 25 meters. I never thought I would have a problem of too much power.
The speed of the V1 in Electronic Mode and Jpeg Fine is very impressive and although the Electronic Viewfinder is not as good as some of the newer ones it's still good for getting scope focus close enough for the camera to take over.
Neil.
Nikon V1 and 11-27.5 mm lens and Swarovski STX 95 mm Scope and DCB 11 Adapter
Mai Po Nature Reserve
Hong Kong,China
December 2013

Attachments

• bf spoonbill V1 stx95_DSC1645.jpg
    bf spoonbill V1 stx95_DSC1645.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 252
  • grey heron V1 stx95_DSC1676.jpg
    grey heron V1 stx95_DSC1676.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 225
  • great egret V1 stx95_DSC1669.jpg
    great egret V1 stx95_DSC1669.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 268
  • bf spoonbill V1 stx95_DSC1570.jpg
    bf spoonbill V1 stx95_DSC1570.jpg
    277.8 KB · Views: 263
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back