• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Digiscoping with the Nikon V1 (2 Viewers)

Tim,
Thank you so much for the very quick response. It was very helpful. Now there is no reason not to leap for a V1 except the dent in the wallet.
Thanks again
s

Hi guys,

I've just changed to an ATX85 and after a very informative exchange of emails with Neil and Gandytron, I went for the V1 which together with the FT1 and TLS APO arrived today.

It's obviously dark here at the moment as it's midnight, but it's playtime tomorrow so do any of you have advice over exposure settings - at the moment I just keep getting a message saying 'Menu or item not available on these settings' - I'm tempted to chuck it down the garden LOL but feel I will regret it in the morning when I have to clean the mud off (hey ho), so trying to keep calm; some help from you experts out there please?

Thanks in advance

Hi guys,

I've just changed to an ATX85 and after a very informative exchange of emails with Neil and Gandytron, I went for the V1 which together with the FT1 and TLS APO arrived today.

It's obviously dark here at the moment as it's midnight, but it's playtime tomorrow so do any of you have advice over exposure settings - at the moment I just keep getting a message saying 'Menu or item not available on these settings' - I'm tempted to chuck it down the garden LOL but feel I will regret it in the morning when I have to clean the mud off (hey ho), so trying to keep calm; some help from you experts out there please?

Thanks in advance

Only video and still image modes available to be used your V1. 2 other modes is not when using the TLS APO.

Enjoy the setup :D

Hi all,

Is it needed to remove the eyecup from a Swarovski 25-50 W eyepiece, in order to lose vignetting with the V1+10-30mm and a DCA adapter? I'd rather just screw it down, because I mainly use my ATS telescope to observe.

Sander

Last edited:
Hi all,

Is it needed to remove the eyecup from a Swarovski 25-50 W eyepiece, in order to lose vignetting with the V1+10-30mm and a DCA adapter? I'd rather just screw it down, because I mainly use my ATS telescope to observe.

Sander

Sander
There is no need to remove the eyecup.
Neil.

Sander
There is no need to remove the eyecup.
Neil.

After watching some reviews on youtube, I'm wondering if there is enough space for the external zoom when you connect it directly to the DCA. Is that true? Would the 18,5mm lens be a better choice?

After watching some reviews on youtube, I'm wondering if there is enough space for the external zoom when you connect it directly to the DCA. Is that true? Would the 18,5mm lens be a better choice?

The 18.5 mm is certainly a better lens ( fixed lenses normally are) but the 11-27.5 mm zoom is also a better choice.
Neil.

V1 or D7100?

Dear Neil, and all,

I own a D7100 and have a 35 mm f1.8 lens. I also own a V1 but recently managed to break (not sure how?!) the 10-30mm kit lens and have been told by Nikon it is a write-off.

I have just bought a swaro UCA adapter and balance rail for my Swaro 65mm scope/25-25x ep combo.

Should I use the D7100 or the V1 for digiscoping? I've not tried with the D7100, but the V1 seemed to work OK when I tried it before, and I'm kind of keen to keep the D7100 with a telephoto prime lens on it.

If I use the V1 I need to buy a new lens, so is the 11-27.5mm a better option that the 18.5 mm for digiscoping?

Thanks,

Dave

Last edited:
Dear Neil, and all,

I own a D7100 and have a 35 mm f1.8 lens. I also own a V1 but recently managed to break (not sure how?!) the 10-30mm kit lens.

I have just bought a swaro UCA adapter and balance rail for my Swaro 65mm scope/25-25x ep combo.

Should I use the D7100 or the V1 for digiscoping? I've not tried with the D7100, but the V1 seemed to work OK when I tried it before, and I'm kind of keen to keep the D7100 with a telephoto prime lens on it.

If I use the V1 is the 11-27.5mm a better option that the 18.5 mm for digiscoping?
Thanks,

Dave

Dave,
Either the 11-27.5 or the 18.5 will do a good job but I would lean towards the 18.5. Keep the D7100 for the other stuff.
Neil.

Dear Neil, and all,

I own a D7100 and have a 35 mm f1.8 lens. I also own a V1 but recently managed to break (not sure how?!) the 10-30mm kit lens and have been told by Nikon it is a write-off.

If I use the V1 I need to buy a new lens, so is the 11-27.5mm a better option that the 18.5 mm for digiscoping?

Thanks,

Dave

Hello,

I am using a Nikon V1 with both the 10-30mm f3.5-5.6 zoom lens and the 18.5mm f1.8, using a DSB-1 adapter on a Nikon ED 82A scope.

The zoom lens is adequate, but the prime lens is noticably much better (sharper/contrast) even wide open, which allows for higher shutter speeds/lower ISO settings.

Hope this helps,

John

I just ordered the Kowa DA10 with nescessary adapters. Plan to use it with a V2, 18,5 prime and my 883. Will it be doable without extra support for the camera?

Edit: I have the new 25-60W eyepiece.

I just ordered the Kowa DA10 with nescessary adapters. Plan to use it with a V2, 18,5 prime and my 883. Will it be doable without extra support for the camera?

Edit: I have the new 25-60W eyepiece.

I've shot the V1V2 with all lenses just hanging off the adapter with no problem. Switch to Electronic Shutter though - at least 10fps. I do like the Kowa support bracket though but it does make viewing through the eyepiece more difficult.
Neil

I think the 2.7x cropped sensor from Nikon V1 really helped me a lot in capturing birds and wildlife in my place. Going back below 1500mm is difficult now :king:

Scarlet-rumped Trogon ISO 800, 1/8's at 30x = 2430mm

DSC_0647 Scarlet-rumped Trogon.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back