• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Diopter problem UV 10x25 (1 Viewer)

Thotmosis

Netherlands
The diopter of my (not so?) trusty Ultravid 10x25 BL stopped working all of a sudden, i can’t get the view sharp anymore. It’s only 4 years old and worked perfect until yesterday when i used it shortly after i took a picture for a post. I didn’t drop it or anything. What can have caused this?
I have send a mail to Leica CS Portugal to pick it up for inspection.

Post in thread 'Very light* setup (binoculars + scope)'
Very light* setup (binoculars + scope)

Ouch!

I'm one of the few who is ambivalent about the UV diopter. When it works it's really slick but I have had some problems both with 8x20 and 10x25. One had to be sent in for service and I eventually discovered the other just had to be handled very precisely / carefully to work. Not sure what the cause of the problem was in either case, it just happened as in your situation.

The only feedback I got with service was that "something was broken" and had been repaired, after which I had no further problem. It would be interesting to know whether Leica gives you any feedback on what caused your problem.

Good luck with it.

Mike

Ouch!

I'm one of the few who is ambivalent about the UV diopter. When it works it's really slick but I have had some problems both with 8x20 and 10x25. One had to be sent in for service and I eventually discovered the other just had to be handled very precisely / carefully to work. Not sure what the cause of the problem was in either case, it just happened as in your situation.

The only feedback I got with service was that "something was broken" and had been repaired, after which I had no further problem. It would be interesting to know whether Leica gives you any feedback on what caused your problem.

Good luck with it.

Mike

Thanks Mike, i will ask Leica specifically what is the cause of the problem.

Ouch!

Good luck with it.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Got word from Leica CS Portugal today:

Necessary labours:
clean optics
adjust optical adjustment (sic!?)
clean optics as far as possible
adjustment of all parts
cleaning and end control

All under warranty but I had to supply my purchase invoice:
“in our registers this binocular is from 01/2014, thus exceeding the 10-year warranty”

So they are very strict as i bought it 4 years ago ….but luckily i had the invoice otherwise i had to pay 185,73 euro.

Hi Mike,

Got word from Leica CS Portugal today:

Necessary labours:
clean optics
adjust optical adjustment (sic!?)
clean optics as far as possible
adjustment of all parts
cleaning and end control

All under warranty but I had to supply my purchase invoice:
“in our registers this binocular is from 01/2014, thus exceeding the 10-year warranty”

So they are very strict as i bought it 4 years ago ….but luckily i had the invoice otherwise i had to pay 185,73 euro.
Good to hear there is progress.

And good tip about keeping Leica purchase documentation. Here's hoping the repairs are successful.

Mike

Good to hear there is progress.

And good tip about keeping Leica purchase documentation. Here's hoping the repairs are successful.

Mike
Thanks Mike, I will let you know. It’s funny, i purchased an old Leica Trinovid 10x32 BN and it’s from 2003 and still under warranty.

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back