• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

DIY Canon EOS 300d Remote Control (1 Viewer)

nobby

I have built a radio remote control for my Canon EOS300d. It is very simple to build even with a very basic knowledge of electronics.

The camera is operated from a small key fob remote control. The remote transmitter and receiver come ready built and only need wiring into a box with a battery.

This should work on any Canon with a 2.5mm remote socket or any Canon that uses the Canon remote switch RS-60E3.

Unlike the Canon IR remote this is not limited to single shot mode. It has a range of about 70m and has buttons for focus and shutter release.

The box contains a 12v battery and by using a DR400 DC coupler lead can also power the camera.

I have also added a wireless video sender unit so any pics taken are sent to my TV/PC screen for preview.

I have enclosed a diagram of the remote unit and video sender showing how it is connected.

The unit cost about £50 to make while the video sender will cost about £35. The batt is around £12.

Brett.

Attachments

• Canon Remote.jpg
    Canon Remote.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 459
Last edited:
Nice idea but a bit expensive. I am at the moment cruising Ebay for a remote for the wife. I do not expect to pay more than about £20 for one.

Pete

I've had a quick scan on Ebay and could only see IR or wired remotes. The IR remote only work from the front of the camera are very limited in range and are of course single shot only. The wired remotes can do continous but you are limited by the length of cable.

You can make up a wired remote in a few mins using a switch and 2.5m stereo plug. Cost about £2.

Brett.

I've never seen a set of instructions for the wife far less a remote!!! do they come with a 'pause' or a 'mute' setting??

Whoops sorry Brett got the wrong end of the stick, that will teach me to read more thoroughly.

Wife suffers with vibration whilst you can get a remote for this the DIY fix is a baseball bat.

Luckily she is not on the forum.

Pete

scottishdude said:
I've never seen a set of instructions for the wife far less a remote!!! do they come with a 'pause' or a 'mute' setting??

Oh if only!! 3:) 3:)

On the original thread the 300d uses the fairly cheap Canon remote RC1 £17.99 from WE

Regards

Paul

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back