• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Do you ignore Leica ? (1 Viewer)

At current exchange rate that would be about 14 500 NOK.

Kikkertspesialisten is selling it for 17 890 NOK, which I think is about the cheapest you can get from any retailer (give or take a few hundred kroner in shipping etc.)

http://www.kikkertspesialisten.no/h.../ultravid-hd-plus/leica-ultravid-7x42-hd-plus

Way back in the seventies our german alpine club youth group send a mebember to Oslo by train, buying scandinavian outdoor gear which wasnt available in germany at the time.
He got the swedish Vat deducted at the border and didnt declare it at the german one, thus saving us quite a lot.
I read that Foto-Erhard has subsidiaries along the danish/german border and also offers order-and-pick-up-in-the-shop.

The Arctic summer might be rather short and cold, but at least we have sunlight 24/7! ;)

Unfortunately, I live pretty far from the Danish/German border, so I would have to settle for having the binoculars sent to me by mail. If I cannot find another valid reason for visiting Germany, that is! (what indeed could that be?) B :)

The Arctic summer might be rather short and cold, but at least we have sunlight 24/7! ;)

Unfortunately, I live pretty far from the Danish/German border, so I would have to settle for having the binoculars sent to me by mail. If I cannot find another valid reason for visiting Germany, that is! (what indeed could that be?) B :)

We'll you better order them before winter, otherwise the only delivery options will be a dogsled or an All-Wheel Drive Dual Motor Tesla Model S.

As to a reason to visit Germany, your similie answers that question. Best beer in the world. My favorites: Kostritzer or Aecht Schlenkerla Maerzen.

<B>

Last edited:
Brock, I assume you've never been to Belgium then?:smoke:;)

Well, I've never been to Spain
But I kinda like the music
Say the ladies are insane there
And they sure know how to use it....

Yeah, Belgium, they make good chocolates. Not as good as the Swiss, though...;)

There's a travel guide named Rick Steves who writes travel guides books for visiting countries in Europe, and he also does travel videos. I saw one he did about Belgium a few months ago, which was excellent. In the video, he claimed that Belgium beer is so good that even Germans travel to Belgium to drink it!

Here's the brewery he stopped at in the video:

halvemaan

In the U.S. the good beer comes from microbreweries (small producers), but on the whole American beer tastes like skunk and looks like pee. My trip to Britain (England, Wales and Scotland) ruined American beer for me. When I returned, my uncle handed me a Budweiser, and I nearly puked it tasted so bad. American ale -- hops dipped in water for 30 seconds. ;)

<B>

Last edited:
Brock,

Take a trip to the Wilkes Barre area and the Poconos. We have American made IPAs coming out of our ears. I could go to lunch at a number of restaurants on a daily basis and have a different one every week day. You won't mistake them for hops dipped in water.

Bob

Last edited:
If Leica didn't tend to have the worst usable eye-relief of any of the higher quality binoculars, they'd be worth more of a look than I typically give the; as is, they are practically unusable unless I wear contacts.

If Leica didn't tend to have the worst usable eye-relief of any of the higher quality binoculars, they'd be worth more of a look than I typically give the; as is, they are practically unusable unless I wear contacts.

I know what you mean. The 7x42 Ultravid has 17mm eye relief though. ;)

Brock, I assume you've never been to Belgium then?:smoke:;)

Ah, Belgium, land of the all-conquering Stella Artois!

Actually, of all the mass-produced lagers I like Stella the most.

But you are right, Belgium and Germany both have many, many excellent beers.

Lee

At this point, America has more great microbrews and brew pubs than you could try in a lifetime. I know because I keep trying. B :)

If you drink Bud, well, that's your own fault. ;)

Mark

At this point, America has more great microbrews and brew pubs than you could try in a lifetime. I know because I keep trying. B :)

If you drink Bud, well, that's your own fault. ;)

Mark

There is skunk juice/weasel water/cat's pee masquerading as beer everywhere I have travelled in Europe and Africa but almost everywhere there is good beer waiting to be found, until Kammerdiner arrives and quaffs it all......;)

Lee

Exceptional beers coming out of Devon and Cornwall right now, Doom Bar and Jail to name two, mind you Cornish Knocker takes some beating.

I don't wear glasses but I do prefer longer eye relief.

My 8x42 Ultravid Blackline has 15.5mm ER. I have no problem with it. IMO a lot has to do with the design of the eye cup and how you hold the binocular up to your eyes when you use it.

I brace binoculars on my eyebrow ridge just up and under my brows and find the right position there for them and they work fine. Curiously I can also do the same with my Nikon 8x30 EII which has 13.5mm or so ER which is why I think the designs of the eye cups are important.

For instance, I have a bit of trouble with eye placement with my Swarovski 8x25 CL Pocket which has 17mm ER because its eye cups are small and narrow but with my Wife's Swarovski 8x30 CL Companion with its 15mm ER I have no problems because the eye cups are relatively large and wide for that binocular.

Bob

My 8x42 Ultravid Blackline has 15.5mm ER. I have no problem with it. IMO a lot has to do with the design of the eye cup and how you hold the binocular up to your eyes when you use it.

I brace binoculars on my eyebrow ridge just up and under my brows and find the right position there for them and they work fine. Curiously I can also do the same with my Nikon 8x30 EII which has 13.5mm or so ER which is why I think the designs of the eye cups are important.

For instance, I have a bit of trouble with eye placement with my Swarovski 8x25 CL Pocket which has 17mm ER because its eye cups are small and narrow but with my Wife's Swarovski 8x30 CL Companion with its 15mm ER I have no problems because the eye cups are relatively large and wide for that binocular.

Bob

I can do pretty good with the ultravids and my regular glasses. My shooting glasses dont work as well but 15 works on the ultra, it does not work on the 8X Yosemite

Bob

Bob:

I have been considering a newer pocket type of binocular, and was able
to try a 10x25 CL yesterday at Cabela's. They have a little larger eyecup,
but they still do not have the ease of view of the larger 8x30 compact types
that are available. I also had the Leica 10x25 UV in hand, still fussy, and
not for everyday viewing.

I agree the Swarovski 8x30 CL is a very nice small binocular, and is an
excellent traveler.

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back