• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dogs on Nature Reserves (1 Viewer)

Bearing in mind that the reception staff appear to be "happy" to clear up the discarded bag, surely a better option would be to provide a dog bin?

Local council removed many bins - dog and litter - from Hengistbury on the basis it encourages people to take litter home. Apparently they've done studies of this. I have my doubts......

I am sure they are happy to go around the reserve collecting bags of poo. Nice to know what my membership pays for.
Question:- why should dog bins be provided on a reserve. I don't throw my rubbish around the reserve I take it home with me.
What next dog baths because there dog got dirty, chasing them pesky duck's.

I am sure they are happy to go around the reserve collecting bags of poo. Nice to know what my membership pays for.
Question:- why should dog bins be provided on a reserve. I don't throw my rubbish around the reserve I take it home with me.
What next dog baths because there dog got dirty, chasing them pesky duck's.

Sometimes you just have to take the pragmatic route - if dogs are allowed, they will poo, so what's the best way to deal with that? It's not quite the same as litter, which would have arrived in your pocket/bag as wrapping or whatever, so taking it home is always going to be relatively straightforward.

Sorry I do not see the difference the poo arrived in there dog!!! What is hard about putting the bag of poo into there pocket and taking it home the same as you expect us to do with our rubbish.

Sorry I do not see the difference the poo arrived in there dog!!! What is hard about putting the bag of poo into there pocket and taking it home the same as you expect us to do with our rubbish.

Fair enough, we can agree to differ, but I know what I'd rather have in my pocket! Personally, I would and have taken home poo bags, but I accept that many wouldn't, and would rather have this group catered for than face a pile of bags or loose poo, which is where the pragmatism comes in.

As Pompadour stated, there is very little that can be done in regards to the above situation. I know the gentleman as being a very pleasant regular with whom I have time to chat about birds etc, but this incident would and does annoy a lot of people out for a pleasant stroll. It was me he reported this to yesterday and I'm sure that we're all aware that provision of dog waste bins cost money to install and maintain - why should the members subscriptions be spent on this, particularly moreso when the visitors are not members of the charity or trust! My only disagreement with one of the comments is the assumption that we or I am happy collecting dog poo in bags - no I'm not - but what choice do we have, ignore it and hope the fairies take it away! I would much rather get on with the main purpose of my job but that's life.

Last edited:
It was not a dig at you Pat, just that these things really get on my nerves, and sometimes have to speak out. I no the problems with reserves and the amount of rubbish that gets left/dumped on them. We spend far to long clearing up after other people. see you soon

Steve

My only disagreement with one of the comments is the assumption that we or I am happy collecting dog poo in bags - no I'm not - but what choice do we have, ignore it and hope the fairies take it away! I would much rather get on with the main purpose of my job but that's life.

No disagreement - I put "happy" in quotes for a reason! Your conclusion is the same as mine. If it's just the odd bag then obviously the cost implications of a dog bin come into it, but if there's a need for regular pick-ups including that of loose poo on the reserve, then the (salaried? or at least diverted from other activities) time taken also needs to be considered.

I was with Steve yesterday and the only thing i can say is he was not a happy birder ;) I to am a dog owner and take my dog out regular and yes she poos but i put it in a bag and take it home in 2 or 3 bags and i do not find this being a problem at all.

Keep it real Stevie baby :) see you on Monday early! for round 2...

Last edited:
Any-one see the one show tonight.

Specially trained dog up on the Cairngorm moorlands running around searching out Dotterel. Took them four hours to find a pair.

Seems that conservationists can have dogs running around nature reserves when it suits them. For conservation purposes of course.

Wonder how they'll go around persuading visitors to nature reserves that you shouldn't have dogs running around off leads when they've seen this on telly??

Any-one see the one show tonight.

Specially trained dog up on the Cairngorm moorlands running around searching out Dotterel. Took them four hours to find a pair.

Seems that conservationists can have dogs running around nature reserves when it suits them. For conservation purposes of course.

Wonder how they'll go around persuading visitors to nature reserves that you shouldn't have dogs running around off leads when they've seen this on telly??

I saw the One Show and thought that too.

Maybe the dog is well trained in this case, and has been trained to sense out birds, but not to go near wild birds, or any wildlife (or snarl at people) - makes a change to be honest.

I would not trust any dog in a reserve at all unless it has been trained otherwise.

My thoughts remain the same

Regards
Kathy
x

Fair enough, we can agree to differ, but I know what I'd rather have in my pocket! Personally, I would and have taken home poo bags, but I accept that many wouldn't, and would rather have this group catered for than face a pile of bags or loose poo, which is where the pragmatism comes in.

In absolute terms I would agree with Pompadour, however as Mark say's you have to be pragmatic and the problem with being pragmatic is that there will be a financial cost to it, it goes back to what I have suggested before, the people that cause the problems will tend to be the lazy ones, so if there is a nicely equipped dog excercising area right by where they park there is a fair chance that they will remain in that area.

Perhaps an idea might be some form of dog "adventure park" with things for the dogs to jump through etc, yes it will have to be paid for .. and unfortunately it will probably be the members of the reserve who end up paying, but it might be a price worth paying and it might also be easier to enforce a dog ban or restrictions on the main reserve itself.

Another point is that having spent almost 40 years of my working life involved with enforcement of various kinds, I do know it also helps when there is a ban or restriction of an activity of some kind if you do provide information as to where the otherwise prohibited activity is actually allowed (along of course with information as to why the activity in question is restricted).

Last edited:
Hi All, visited local quarry this week watching peregrine falcons pairing/bonding from my car (half term school holidays) and also observed ppl walking there dogs and yes they were letting there dogs mess on the footpath and on the adjoining grass play areas. there is a poo bin in the car park area and also a litter bin, a one point there was 18 dogs running round barking, chasing each other and fighting with various male/female voices shouting in all directions, (dogs took no notice) then the dog owners were arguing with each other, you had to see it to believe it, after a few hours i decided to have a walk round the path which runs around the edge of the quarry floor and there were dog poo allover, then a dog owner came up with her two dogs and one started to do its duties, after the dog had finished she decided to walk away and i said are you not going to clean up after your dog ? reply was others dont bother why shud i? and if your that bothered clean it up yourself, i only wanted a quiet week to watch one of my favourite birds of prey, and get treat like poo

The major problem with dogs are the owners, most of whom are too lazy to give the dog any obedience training. We had three Boxers over a 25 year period and all were fully trained to come when called, stay, sit, walk to heel etc., and we never had a problem except with other peoples mutts running loose.

Alex

I just saw this thread after making very similar comments about run amok dogs on the why are birds so scared of humans thread.

I note above that a few are thinking along the lines of management techniques /resources (specialized areas, etc), and that the observation has been made that it's the lazy owners (dare I say ignorant ones too) that are to blame, so without actually reading through all the thread (apologies if I'm repeating old ground), I just want to proffer the following point:-

Like so much in society these days, misbehaviour seems to stem directly as a result of a lack of consequences /punishment. Everyone is so softly,softly, ooooh, we can't possibly cause offence, that all manner of anti-social behaviour, aggression, violence, crime, has seemed to become the norm. It's as if criminals rights share an equal footing - or even trump at times - those of normal law abiding folk. Whatever happened to a swift kick up the *rs* by Inspector Plod?

Add this to a whole generation brought up to have never heard the word "no" from their parents whose chronically low self esteem will see them do anything (including trashing society discipline - as well as footpaths) to gain acceptance by their children as 'friends' rather than parents, and is it any wonder we're in the mess we're currently in? (sometimes literally!)

Maybe what these selfish miscreants need is a bit less touchy feely, and a whole lot more touchy wallet!

Chosun :gh:

It was not a dig at you Pat, just that these things really get on my nerves, and sometimes have to speak out. I no the problems with reserves and the amount of rubbish that gets left/dumped on them. We spend far to long clearing up after other people. see you soon

Steve

I know Steve, cheers. Trust me, I get just as wound up over things like this but have come to sadly accept that there are some very, very selfish people out there who really either don't think or care about their actions. I hope that as you challenged her (thanks by the way) she may just think twice and we don't have a reoccurence. The desk volunteer was livid when she heard - she's a responsible dog owner.....I'll spare you her thoughts on the matter.

All the best.

Pat

An example of a good notice board at Lyme Regis in Dorset. It explains what the law is, and that there might be a penalty for breaching it and also has a map of the areas where dogs are permitted and when they are permitted, and under what conditions.

2je36z6.jpg

This is I think a good example for nature reserves to follow (perhaps with an explanation as to why dogs are not permitted in some areas), some people will of course always ignore the rules but the majority of people will comply.

A point is that the signs should be robust and visible and that there should be enough of them, another point I think is that like these at Lyme Regis the regulations should be shown on separate signs rather than as a few lines on a comprehensive sign on a car park adjacent to the beach as the only thing people tend to read on such signs is the information about parking regulations.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back