• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dominant Female Blackcap (1 Viewer)

Angelface

Hi all,

I saw a male Blackcap in the garden today and I was pleased to see him as I had not seen him for a few weeks, when out of nowhere came a female Blackcap and picked a fight with him, they were at it like mad in mid-air he finally flew away. He returned a few minutes later only to be chased by her again, this happened several times and he finally gave in. No wonder I haven't seen him poor thing. Having never had BLackcaps in the garden before is this normal behaviour between the two sexes or is she just a bully?

Angelface said:
Hi all,

I saw a male Blackcap in the garden today and I was pleased to see him as I had not seen him for a few weeks, when out of nowhere came a female Blackcap and picked a fight with him, they were at it like mad in mid-air he finally flew away. He returned a few minutes later only to be chased by her again, this happened several times and he finally gave in. No wonder I haven't seen him poor thing. Having never had BLackcaps in the garden before is this normal behaviour between the two sexes or is she just a bully?
Hi Chrissie.
Come on Chrissie, she's female. Nuff said! LOL!! :'D Sorry all you ladies; couldn't resist.
As for the antics Chrissie, I've never had more than one in the garden so I can't comment on them. I have seen similar antics with other species, but I can't explain it, and it wasn't specifically the female that was the aggressor. That's muddied the water I'm afraid. Perhaps someone else has more idea.

Kind regards.
Baz. :t:

I haven't had Blackcaps before recently, Chrissie. So I don't know what their behaviour is normally like. Mine usually come singly, seeming to take it in turns. When the pair was here together, they behaved like an old married couple; no arguments but no lovey-dovey either! Just got on with their individual feeding.

Angelface said:
Hi all,

Hi Chrissie :hi:
I think this might just be blackcap behaviour. We've had a male feeding in the garden for a couple of weeks now and he is SO stroppy. He is constantly chasing the goldies and blue tits off the feeders; last year we had several of them, both sexes and I'm sure I remember them scrapping frequently.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back