• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (5 Viewers)

it is the Gardens Wendy but not sure exactly where though. Given the numbers they could be fairly spread out. I know a few people who've gone to see them and they haven't had any trouble locating a few.

Thanks, Luke. I was there on Sunday when some were later reported, but no luck for me. I did see a fairly large flock of LTTs though, which was a bonus. I had less than an hour there, next time, maybe, I shall have more time to spare!

Out of County trip, doing Keyhaven and Blashford Lakes(including Harbridge for Whooper & Bewick swans) .Excellent day adding 21 species to the year list taking me to 101 for the year.

Highly recommend the feeders round the woodland hide at Blashford, loads of common birds really close, Siskin, redpoll, goldfinch, LT tit, GS Woodpecker, Collared Dove, Nuthatch and the rest.

Really worth a visit if you haven't been for a while.

Ian

Wyke Down

Wyke Down again this afternoon, weather not great with constant drizzle and high winds, no sign of any SEO's, however did see the Great Grey Shrike again, up on the barbed wire fence that runs along the top of the Arhaeological site field.

Also a flock of about 200 Fieldfares and 5 Corn Buntings.

Ian

Record shot of the bedraggled GGS.

Attachments

• IMG_9711.jpg
    IMG_9711.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 54
Hi

Thanks again to all those who pointed me in the right direction off my last post on Wyke down and Avon causeway. (MSA, blandfordbirder and PooleParrot)

I wonder could I ask if anyone could assist with directions for going to see the Hume's Leaf near littlesea and also how to go about seeing the Calshot Spanish Sparrow? I fancy going after one or the other this coming weekend.

Thanks again.

Hi

Thanks again to all those who pointed me in the right direction off my last post on Wyke down and Avon causeway. (MSA, blandfordbirder and PooleParrot)

I wonder could I ask if anyone could assist with directions for going to see the Hume's Leaf near littlesea and also how to go about seeing the Calshot Spanish Sparrow? I fancy going after one or the other this coming weekend.

Thanks again.

Drive to Calshot. Park in car park by beach.
walk back to houses where police cones are. Sparrow gets in hedge here near food. Also large honeysuckle by bus stop. One of residents is good birder and he'll more than likely be about to help you track it down. It's not easy to get good, prolonged views and after 2pm or before 10am is best I'd say.
Chris

Poole Quay

After the unexpected Razorbill a couple of weeks ago at the Haven, this morning an unexpexted Guillemot just off the quayside, Poole.

111(Nelson- for any cricket fans) on the year list, strangely enough we were level with the Lord Nelson Pub when we saw it.

Record shot attached.

Attachments

• IMG_9783.jpg
    IMG_9783.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 49
Red head smew still at Longham , but couldn't locate the scaup. Pair of stonechats.
Quite cold but very still.
Chris

bird magazines

I've got a box full of bird magazines from the nineties, free to a good home. I can drop off in Wimborne area or Weymouth and all places inbetween. PM me.

Longham lake

Scaup, smew and red head goosander showing well this morning, plus kingfisher and good numbers of teal and wigeon.
Chris

Holes Bay

Lovely bright morning at Holes Bay with a slowly receding tide and a frozen foreshore which in places was frozen at least 5 metres from the tideline.

Lots of waders and ducks. Wigeon, Pintail and Goldeneye in good numbers.

Also a flock of 100+ Avocet and 2 Spotted Redshanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0072.jpg
    IMG_0072.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 38
Longham lake parking

Missed the goosanders yesterday then, doh! Did see the drake Scaup on large lake though.

Thought i'd mention the car parking though as a heads up.
When I got there yesterday there was only one other car parked. Big sign on the entrance to the gravel area saying "private parking - no public parking".
I ignored it as usual. Once in and parked I noticed a clock sign on the hut saying "Gates will be closed at 4 pm" this was at 3pm so a bit worrying.
Also there was a bearded bill oddie lookalike chap in a off road style car who waylaid me as I passed on foot and informed that I could not park there. He was nice enough about it saying I might be ok if I hide my binoculars and tell anyone who asked I was a fisherman checking out the water.
I wasnt comfortable with that and with the 4pm warning so I moved round to Green Lane.
So basically it looks like it's official - unless you're a fisherman with relevant club card, you cant park there.

Missed the goosanders yesterday then, doh! Did see the drake Scaup on large lake though.

Thought i'd mention the car parking though as a heads up.
When I got there yesterday there was only one other car parked. Big sign on the entrance to the gravel area saying "private parking - no public parking".
I ignored it as usual. Once in and parked I noticed a clock sign on the hut saying "Gates will be closed at 4 pm" this was at 3pm so a bit worrying.
Also there was a bearded bill oddie lookalike chap in a off road style car who waylaid me as I passed on foot and informed that I could not park there. He was nice enough about it saying I might be ok if I hide my binoculars and tell anyone who asked I was a fisherman checking out the water.
I wasnt comfortable with that and with the 4pm warning so I moved round to Green Lane.
So basically it looks like it's official - unless you're a fisherman with relevant club card, you cant park there.

Sadly I've found that the bailiffs seem to be checking quite carefully these days. Even though they both know me and I've been a regular there for about five years and they have given me permission to park in the car park they still come over to check who I am and regularly ask if I have permission to park in the car park!
"Yes, you said I could" is my reply, but it gets so uncomfortable that I usually park elsewhere, which is not a hardship really. Green Lane or by the Bridge House Hotel or on the road near the Aston Martin garage are best. Don't park down the little track near the houses, where the woman has put up a CCTV notice - she's very unpleasant to deal with.
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

Back