• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (8 Viewers)

Could well be jessies but I guess there's a small chance of it being nest material that happens to be hanging in that way. Buzzards are certainly busy nest building at present.

I didn't think of that, Luke, it could be.

I certainly haven't seen it since.

Ian

Some Interesting Situations

Morden Bog again today from 07:00 until 11:45.

Plenty of singing birds in the crisp frosty morning Linnets, Siskins and Woodlarks the most numerous. At 08:15 the Marsh Harrier appeared around the Decoy Pond, I lost sight of it until 08:45 when it did another circuit round the Decoy pond and then moved away towards Lawsons Clump. At this point I noticed a distant Buzzard perched on a low branch in a tree, after a couple of minutes a Peregine appeared and started to dive bomb the buzzard until it eventually flew off with Peregrine still in attendance.

Walked up towards the ruined Decoy Cottage with plenty of Chiffchaff and Goldcrest and a pair of Crossbill, then back on the heath a party of 3 Dartford Warbler started chasing through a couple of Gorse bushes , watched them for about 10 mins before they moved on. I then noticed that there were 2 Peregrines in view both perched on adjacent electricity pylons.

Then across to Morden Park Lake where there were a pair of greylag and a Blackcap in the trees. Back out onto the highest part of the heath for the walk back to the car, another couple of Dartfords chasing then at the highest point on the path in front a female Mallard with 13 vey early Ducklings. I presume it was making it's way to the decoy pond which was still a good 800metres away.Quite an eventful morning.

Attachments

• today1.jpg
    today1.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 60
  • today2.jpg
    today2.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 45
  • today3.jpg
    today3.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 46
  • today4.jpg
    today4.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 52
  • today5.jpg
    today5.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 56
Could well be jessies but I guess there's a small chance of it being nest material that happens to be hanging in that way. Buzzards are certainly busy nest building at present.

For what it's worth, a Buzzard was displaying over Blandford at lunch time, and it was carrying a stick which looked like jesses at first, but I got the scope out and it was definitely a stick.

Red Kite also over the town at lunch time.

Morden

Quiet this moning at Morden, a few Woodlark, 1 Dartford Warbler, 1 Crossbill(male) and 1 Peregrine perched on a pylon before flying off. Other than that just the normal supporting cast, a total of 41 species recorded.

Attachments

• perg 014.jpg
    perg 014.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 36
Morden Bog 07:35 - 09:40

No large Raptors today except for Buzzards, however plenty of other birds to keep busy with. Starting with a nice male Wheatear, 1st of the year at Morden and last year only recorded in the Autumn Migration period. More Woodlark, Siskin, Linnet, Chiffchaffs, Willow Warblers and 1 Dartford Warbler.

At the decoy cottage had confirmation of successful Crossbill breeding with a Female Crossbill feeding a newly fledged young. This is 1st time I had seen such a young Crossbill, a tailless very streaky individual with an uncrossed bill.

A total of 44 species recorded.

Ian

Last edited:
Red Kite near Win Green

Please forgive me if I post this in the wrong place, but I haven't been around for quite some time.

My son took me to Garston Wood on Easter saturday where we saw a pair of Buzzards, Great Spotted Woodpeckers and heard numerous warblers. One was a low, buzzy sound. Wood or Grasshopper Warbler??? I've listened to recordings and still not sure which it was. It was a delightful trilly sound.

We then went on to Win Green and I'm almost certain we saw a Red Kite hanging in the sky, although the rain and heavy cloud made identification quite difficult. Does anyone know this area and perhaps would let me know if this is a possibility?

Jennie

Morden Bog 07:20 - 10:00

A couple of Red-legged Partridge in the field that runs along between the road and the Bog. Then 10+ Sand Martin over Morden Park Lake were yearticks, walking back from the lake a very surprising Common Sandpiper on Sherford Stream was a patch tick .Also a pair of Crossbill up by the Decoy Cottage.

Yearlist 149

Ian

Last edited:
Black-winged Stilt at North hide at Radipole today along with the Glossy Ibis. Picture on my blog but the birds remained rather elusive!

Had a Blackbird nest just 2m from my kitchen door and enjoyed watching the 4 young being fed for the last couple of weeks. Yesterday they left the nest and were hopping all over the garden. Unfortunately due to local felines, 4 have now become 1 but thankfully the last one has managed to get high up into a bush about 5m off the ground.

Paul.

Morden

Morden Bog 08:05-11:15

First Cuckoo of the year at Morden 1st calling and then picked up on the dead tree below the decoy pond.

Also 4 Dartford Warblers, a pair of RL Patridges, a pair of Peregrines circling the heath, 3 seperate groups of young mallard chicks with mums on Morden Park Lake, a pair of Raven and a couple of Woodlark on the power cables. In total 47 species recorded.

Yearlist now 152.

Attachments

• rlp.jpg
    rlp.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 42
  • cuckoo.jpg
    cuckoo.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 55
  • cuckoo1.jpg
    cuckoo1.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 46
Alex, the best parking is at Sherford Bridge on the B3075, if you are coming from the A35 the parking area is on the left about a mile down the road straight after a sharp bend. Morden Bog is through the large gates on the opposite side of the road, once through the gates walk across the field for about 300metres until you get to another couple of gates , the smaller gate will take you along the bridleway through the trees(popular with dog walkers) you need to take the larger gate on the left which will take you onto the Bog. Once through the gate take the worn path to the left which will take you up on to the heath area and enjoy.

Best area for Cuckoos will be round the Decoy Pond, you will see the pond when you get to the higher area of the heath, Dartfords could be anywhere.

Hope this helps.

Ian

Longham lake, Sunday

Two swallows and 2 blackcaps plus singing whitethroat at Longham Lakes this morning, though the wind was too cold to make the trip much fun.
Chris

Morden Bog

Extra effort today with a 5 and a half hour session at Morden, this did result in 50 species being noted, a Patch day record.

Pretty normal fare with the more interesting records being 2 L. Redpoll(New for Patch), 2 Peregines 1 circling and 1 on the pylon, a pair of Crossbill, 1 Dartford Warbler, a pair of Grey Wagtail on MPL.

I also saw the "jessied Buzzard" again that I mentioned in an earlier post, it was in exactly the same area as last time, unfortunately the views were no better than last time so it is still a bit of a mystery. Also saw a Buzzard with alot of missing feathers in its tail. No Cuckoos today.

Photos below , normal Buzzard, notched Buzzard, Circling Peregine, Pylon Peregrine and 1 of the Wagtails

Ian

Attachments

• buzzard.jpg
    buzzard.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 35
  • buzznotched.jpg
    buzznotched.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 45
  • pere1.jpg
    pere1.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 43
  • pere2.jpg
    pere2.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 48
  • wag1.jpg
    wag1.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 48
Morden

In between the showers , a Wheatear on the field between the heath and the B3075 and a single Peregrine the only notewothy sightings this morning.

Attachments

• wheatear.jpg
    wheatear.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 46

Users who are viewing this thread

Back