• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (7 Viewers)

First autumn Wood Sandpiper at Lytchett Fields this evening, also 2 Ruff, 2 Little Stint, 2 LRP and stacks of commoner waders

Lytchett Fields as been really spectacular just lately with the number of waders and species, but the wood sandpiper as been giving me the run around like that pesky ruff and L stints did last few days. Have hope one would turn up at Longham but only common sandpiper so far at that sight.

I was pleased to find Marsh Tits in Verwood on a Bioblitz walk yesterday - they're in Bugdens Copse, just behind Morrisons. I don't think there are that many sites in Dorset any more?

After some great birds over the past few years, Longham records seem to have taken a bit of a dip this year - has anything happened at the site to change the habitat, water levels etc, or just "one of those things"?

I was pleased to find Marsh Tits in Verwood on a Bioblitz walk yesterday - they're in Bugdens Copse, just behind Morrisons. I don't think there are that many sites in Dorset any more?

After some great birds over the past few years, Longham records seem to have taken a bit of a dip this year - has anything happened at the site to change the habitat, water levels etc, or just "one of those things"?

Not sure what was like in the past, but compared to the last 2 years I have seen larger groups of canoiest and model yachts on the large lake this year, now is this because I have been round more oftern are they using it more with this warm weather? Also I have not seen much exposed Island shore line and found the smaller lake giving more exposed shore line and seeing common sandpipers using this but getting pushed across the lake to the next bit of clear shore only to be moved on again to the next as walkers walk round the lake and that inclued me I surpose, best wader I hve seen using the island as be Dunlin this year and Black -tailed godwits early in the year using the fields.

Two Ospreys and a nightjar seen at Arne RSPB today. THe nightjar was roosting on a bare branch on the Combes Heath trail. First I've seen so well in daylight.

Found an Aquatic Warbler at Lytchett Fields on Wednesday and surprisingly it was refound again on Thursday and seen on a few brief occasions throughout the day. Despite a lot of viewers this morning there was no sign although the wind and lack of sun wasn't conducive for it to sit on top of the reeds/rush.

Attachments

• 17189Aqua.JPG
    17189Aqua.JPG
    294.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 17196Aqua.JPG
    17196Aqua.JPG
    265.1 KB · Views: 32
  • 17220Aqua.JPG
    17220Aqua.JPG
    241.5 KB · Views: 34
Little report from my holiday this week:

RSPB Arne: 2 Ospreys.
RSPB Radipole Lake: Black Tailed Godwits, Herons, Little Egret, Cormorant, heard Bearded Tits calling amongst the usual suspects.
Chesil Beach: Sanderling, Dunlin, Ringed Plovers, Little Egrets, gulls of many varieties, Dipper and Bar Tailed Godwits

Dipper on Chesil Beach! Really? If correct this will be first in the Chesil Bank/Fleet recording area since 1982 & that was on the mill stream at Abbotsbury. Never recorded on actual Fleet or beach before as far as I'm aware. Where was this Ferry bridge?

Steve.

Dipper on Chesil Beach! Really? If correct this will be first in the Chesil Bank/Fleet recording area since 1982 & that was on the mill stream at Abbotsbury. Never recorded on actual Fleet or beach before as far as I'm aware. Where was this Ferry bridge?

Steve.

I saw one there last year to, by the visitors centre, flew out of the stones by the walkway gave me a heart attack.

Another good few days at Lytchett Fields. A great White Egret on FP briefly last week, and then yesterday a Lesser Yellowlegs turned up with the masses of Redshank on SP on the rising tide. Unfortunately it has chosen the weekend with the highest tides of the year so it left the fields as they turned into lakes at midday.

Good news that again this morning the Lesser Yellowlegs came onto the fields with the Redshank and this time stayed on FP, 1st seen at about 9:30 but not seen after 11am as the fields filled up again.

Then to top it off a Spotted Crake was found on SP just before lunchtime today!

Oh and forgot that the GWE was again on the fields briefly this morning

Ian

Lesser Yellowlegs

The LYLegs is still at Lytchett now in its 2nd week. It mainly stays along the back edge of French's or Sherford Pools, but does occasionally come closer. Attached a couple of shots from yesterday

Attachments

• 17604LYL##.JPG
    17604LYL##.JPG
    232.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 17606LYL.JPG
    17606LYL.JPG
    217.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 17609LYL.JPG
    17609LYL.JPG
    282.2 KB · Views: 18
I'm trying to work out whether the Lesser Yellowlegs at Lytchett Fields is tidal? I know Poole harbour has an unusual tidal pattern. Does it tend to feed/be seen at low tide ?? Hope to get down Thurs or Fri......

Hi, The LYL has occasionally been pushed off the fields on high tides which will be building up towards this weekend highs. Best chance is to visit in the couple of hours before high tide where all the waders are pushed from the bay onto the fields. Looking at the tide charts for Thurs/Fri I would think the best times would be early morning(8am) or late afternoon(4pm) that being said it has been a little more settled this week.

For Info to all. There is substantial ground work happening on the fields at Lytchett from the 5th October for 3 days so this disturbance may push the LYL away from the site if it stays that long

Ian, thanks for advice, the LYLegs was on French's pool early morning in fairly poor light....... also 3 Knot, Curlew Sand and 4 Greenshank. My first visit to Lytchett Fields but will certainly be back...... amazing numbers of Snipe.
Brownsea lagoon late morning held no less than 37 Spoonbills, also 3 Spot Reds, 2 Curlew Sands, Bar-and Black-wits, plus usual Greenshank, Avocet etc, v good views as usual from the hides. A very productive morning :)

Ian, thanks for advice, the LYLegs was on French's pool early morning in fairly poor light....... also 3 Knot, Curlew Sand and 4 Greenshank. My first visit to Lytchett Fields but will certainly be back...... amazing numbers of Snipe.
Brownsea lagoon late morning held no less than 37 Spoonbills, also 3 Spot Reds, 2 Curlew Sands, Bar-and Black-wits, plus usual Greenshank, Avocet etc, v good views as usual from the hides. A very productive morning :)

Glad to hear you got the Lesserlegs, I was there after the rain at about 930 and the Lesserlegs was still on FP, as with the previous couple of days it spends lots of time in the rushes/sedges on the back of FP so it can go unnoticed for long periods. A couple of adds to your wader list with a single Common Sandpiper and a Little Stint.

Also a Hobby flushed most of the FP waders mid morning

Pics of Lesserlegs from yesterday
Ian

Attachments

• 17634LYL.JPG
    17634LYL.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 17649LYL.JPG
    17649LYL.JPG
    325.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 17641LYL.JPG
    17641LYL.JPG