• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (7 Viewers)

Buzzard1905 said:
went to radipole lake to day and saw the ring billed gull and a peregrine falcon(first for me and was brilliant)trying to catch a duck!full list i saw was,commorant,lapwing,grey heron,bearded tit,tufted ducks,barnacle goose,coot,moorhen,mallards,shelduck,teal,common buzzard,little egret,peregrine falcon,ring billed gull(great views),gadwall,shoveler,

Also went to Radipole today, saw pretty much the same, except for the Peregrine. Also fourteen Grey Herons from North Hide, where we had cracking views of a Kingfisher. Ring Billed Gull showed really well early afternoon, no Bittern though. Went to Lodmoor to look for the Scaup, no sign of those either.

saw the fourteen grey herons aswell was eleven but a few more flew in when i was there.also saw the kingfisher to left of north hide on the back fence but could'nt get clear view as my binoculars are not powerful enough!a great day hopeing to see the bittern over hatch pond this weekend!

Almost nothing at Lodmoor today. BHGs, two hering gulls, a couple of teal and shelduck.
Radipole was quite quiet, too. Didn't see the bittern or med gulls. However, I'm fairly sure I saw the ring-billed gull in the car park. Bright yellow legs, almost clean white head, black band on the plain yellow bill and a pale eye. Didn't get time to check the edge of the wings to see if there was a narrow white band as someone decided to drive at the gulls and they all cleared off, but the gull in question didn't land again. I'm not 100% sure as there's no mention of the bird in the book in the visitor's centre for today or yesterday. Any comments?

colonelboris said:
Almost nothing at Lodmoor today. BHGs, two hering gulls, a couple of teal and shelduck.
Radipole was quite quiet, too. Didn't see the bittern or med gulls. However, I'm fairly sure I saw the ring-billed gull in the car park. Bright yellow legs, almost clean white head, black band on the plain yellow bill and a pale eye. Didn't get time to check the edge of the wings to see if there was a narrow white band as someone decided to drive at the gulls and they all cleared off, but the gull in question didn't land again. I'm not 100% sure as there's no mention of the bird in the book in the visitor's centre for today or yesterday. Any comments?
Don't think that because it wasn't in the book it wasn't there. In my experience very few things ever make it to the book as the good people in the shop are busy selling food, binoculars and other stuff. it's a great little shop and very friendly, so the best way to find out what is about is to speak to the people there rather than rely on the book or board.
Sound like you probably did see the ring bill - did it look mean and disdainful as if it would like to rip your eyes out? The common gulls always to me seem softer and cuddlier, but ring billed are mean. And the bill is yellow, not dirty grey - just like you report.
As for driving at the gulls - there are some prats in Dorset aren't there, they do it at Baiter, Poole, too - walk through the brent geese and flush them all away, usually with a yappy terrier dog in tow.

Ooh, sounds interesting. The main feature that caught my eye was the bright yellow legs, but then I've been told that doesn't necessarily mean RBG. The mean look was there - I just thought I'd check before making a backside of myself...
Cheers!

Have I come to this thread too late?
Scary, you can't live very far from me, have you ever been over to Whitesheet? That is a really great birding place to go, wood larks, yellowhammers, linnets, dartford warblers, buzzards, curlew, lapwing, golden plovers, Nightjars, even had the Montys one year! The lesser woodpecker, greater woodpecker and the regular greeny not to mention chiffchaffs and other normal birds! I love trying to get over there as the birding is really something towards the end of April the dartfords are displaying.

You go over the area below russell coates you must look out for the european green lizard, there is a large breeding colony there. very interesting as there are several different snakes to be seen if there is enough peace and quiet!

Hengistbury head has been one of my best birding spots, get over the head around the end of April and watch the hirundines come in, there you have Swallow, Housemartin, Sandmartin and swift in one day! not to mention the kestrels, sparrowhawks, green woodpeckers, stone chats, and if you walk to the start of the beach huts there is a pool where there is a notice saying this is an SSSI and there I have seen Whimbrel, Godwits, Little Egrets, herons, marsh warblers, red shanks, greenshanks, curlew, just to mention a few, I usually go with a friend as I am disabled, and my husband doesn't like me travelling out alone.

Sadly Bournemouth beach is less likely to have much birding because of the ignorant ones! The jet skiers disturb the birding on the other side of the run, but I have seen in the harbour many different birds, like knot, dunlin, kingfisher and more from the mmudeford side of the harbour, until the baiters decide to walk straight at the waders and drive them from view!, This they do this especially if you are looking through a scope, they think I want to see them!! If you are interested in joining our little group, send me a PM.

went to radipole yesterday where a sparrowhawk.2 bearded tits and a long tailed tit were the highlights for me!also popped down to lodmoor and saw a kinfisher.Today i popped down to hatch pond to try and catch the bittern but still no luck.Did see 2 great crested grebes which ive never seen before,also four commorants showing really well

Sunday 28th January

I led a field trip for Wiltshire Ornithological Society yesterday (Sunday) in the Weymouth and Portland area. A rather unwieldly 26 turned up, but in spite of that I think they had a good day. We had two good flight views of a Bittern at Radipole, with Cettis Warbler and Bearded Tit, as well as all the usual birds.

There were two Great-northern Divers from Ferrybridge, with at least one more, plus the Velvet Scoter in Portland Harbour. A Black Redstart showed really well at Portland Castle, as did the Purple Sandpipers at Portland Bill. There were huge numbers of Auks off the Bill, also Gannets and Kittiwakes. Thankfully there weren't too many oiled birds, but there was an oiled Great-northern Diver in Weymoth Bay later on.

We ended the day at Castle Cove where the Yellow-browed Warbler showed well, with a male Blackcap there as well. A final look over Portland Harbour found us 17 Mediterranean Gulls and a Slavonian Grebe. We had 77 species for the day, I think they went home happy.

Last edited:
Frampton 25 said:
We had 77 species for the day, I think they went home happy.
Sounds like a great day.

On Saturday I walked round Baiter, Poole and saw nothing besides a few pied wagtails. The kite fliers and surfers had scared away the brent flock - only three left on the field.

Sunday a walk round Christchurch found the peregrine on its favoured gargoyle at the priory in the afternoon and a grey wagtail on the stream behind the priory. The peregrine barely moved in 90 minutes!

A flock of at least ten yellowhammers near Badbury rings today, plus dartford warblers showing well at Holt Heath and four buzzards over there, but no stonechats. i reckon the have deserted the heath - at least the bit I watch.

Last edited:
Nina P said:
Have I come to this thread too late?
Scary, you can't live very far from me, have you ever been over to Whitesheet? That is a really great birding place to go, wood larks, yellowhammers, linnets, dartford warblers, buzzards, curlew, lapwing, golden plovers, Nightjars, even had the Montys one year! The lesser woodpecker, greater woodpecker and the regular greeny not to mention chiffchaffs and other normal birds! I love trying to get over there as the birding is really something towards the end of April the dartfords are displaying.

You go over the area below russell coates you must look out for the european green lizard, there is a large breeding colony there. very interesting as there are several different snakes to be seen if there is enough peace and quiet!

Hengistbury head has been one of my best birding spots, get over the head around the end of April and watch the hirundines come in, there you have Swallow, Housemartin, Sandmartin and swift in one day! not to mention the kestrels, sparrowhawks, green woodpeckers, stone chats, and if you walk to the start of the beach huts there is a pool where there is a notice saying this is an SSSI and there I have seen Whimbrel, Godwits, Little Egrets, herons, marsh warblers, red shanks, greenshanks, curlew, just to mention a few, I usually go with a friend as I am disabled, and my husband doesn't like me travelling out alone.

Sadly Bournemouth beach is less likely to have much birding because of the ignorant ones! The jet skiers disturb the birding on the other side of the run, but I have seen in the harbour many different birds, like knot, dunlin, kingfisher and more from the mmudeford side of the harbour, until the baiters decide to walk straight at the waders and drive them from view!, This they do this especially if you are looking through a scope, they think I want to see them!! If you are interested in joining our little group, send me a PM.
Hi Nina. i'm in the process of replying to you - just haven't found time to write a proper reply yet.

scary-canary said:
Hi Nina. i'm in the process of replying to you - just haven't found time to write a proper reply yet.
Not to worry, I had a different type of day today, decided to go to Kingston Lacey House to see the snowdrops there, with my mother and my good friends Trish and Keith, it was heavy going on the old hand propelled chariot, and people were very helpful as some of the terrain is heavy going with all the pea gravel, and some of the paths were too narrow at one end, I ended up with scraped knuckles as there was one point that has standind stones guarding the exit!! Brilliant planning in that respect, I now have scratched hand holds around the wheels! I really don't appreciate things like that! I suppose I shouldn't grumble as I think I was the one allowed in without charge!
Highlights of today were, Ordinary worker bees, at least five of them pollenating the snowdrops, two huge red tailed bumble bees, and three red admiral butterflies, one of which landed on Keiths coat, (must have thought he was a brilliant blue flower) There wasn't much in the way of birds there, but then it is really rather early for the regular ones around there!
My garden has been delightful for the wild birds, I noticed a flock of around fifteen Longtailed Tits in the plum tree, and I have seen many greenfinches in my garden, despite the ravages of the finch virus that almost wiped them out at the end of 2005, but so far not seen one chaffinch, that is sad. plenty robins, and the incessant drumminng of the Greater Spotted Woodpeckers, I must admit I do like to wind them up when I tap on the gate with a stone, they come closer and closer, in fact I can draw them into the ash tree on the boundary, but once they see it's me they drum a real tattoo and buzz off. I guess they are just telling the rest of them that the fat human in the chair is playing silly 'B's.

As I'm a dorset birder guess i should make an effort to keep this thread going!! :)

today saw the yellow-browed warbler again in Castle Cove, Weymouth, I've been twice now and both times it's been in the trees just beyond the end of the weird stilted structure to the left of the steps. Need to be patient and alert though!!

Slavonian grebe very close in off the beach also.

James

James Lowther said:
As I'm a dorset birder guess i should make an effort to keep this thread going!! :)

today saw the yellow-browed warbler again in Castle Cove, Weymouth, I've been twice now and both times it's been in the trees just beyond the end of the weird stilted structure to the left of the steps. Need to be patient and alert though!!

Slavonian grebe very close in off the beach also.

James

I'm an occasional visitor so don't know Castle Cove - is that accessible from Sandsfoot Castle?

As a Dorset birder i am glad to join this thread.
just spent the day at ferry bridge and portland with some good birds
red-breasted mergansers
purple sandpipers
turnstone
gannet
red-necked grebe
rock pipit
guillemot
great day had but quite cold in the east wind

JSlee said:
I'm an occasional visitor so don't know Castle Cove - is that accessible from Sandsfoot Castle?

Sort of yes..

you follow the road behind the castle for a couple of hundred yards in the weymouth direction (to the right as you leave the castle), then there is a footpath off to the right (might be signposted?) that leads to some steps down to the beach

James

went to radipole yesterday great view of bearded tits and watched a commorant for bout 20 minutes with a massive eel,took him a while to get it down but he was'nt givng up specially with the gulls lingering!also saw blue tits,great tits,shelduck,teal,mallard,little egret,tufted ducks,moorhen,coots,

also popped to lodmoor where the only highlight was a green woodpecker and a buzzard.

the bittern was showing excellently to the left of the north hide at radipole today also saw 5 bearded tits,teal,shelduck,mallard,bittern,grey heron,coot,moorhen,12 cormorant,27 lapwing,2 little egret,greenfinch,pied wagtail,robin,shoveler,great black backed gull,lesser black backed gull,hering gull,little grebe,tufted duck,mute swan

Also popped to lodmoor where the main highlights were 5 long tailed tits,flock of brent geese,and excellent close up views of a kingfisher,a buzzard,and a peregrine sending the flock of gulls up and down like a yo yo.A great day albeit a little bit chilly the bittern was just beautiful and made my day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back