• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dorset birding (7 Viewers)

Third time lucky. |=)| Managed to get good views this afternoon. Amazing how easily such a striking bird can disappear into the vegetation. Seemed to be finding plenty of grubs to eat. Given how easily it is to overlook and the low numbers of regular birders I wonder how long it has been there.

How often is the site visited? I only visit at most once a week. How about you others?

Number of visits

Third time lucky. |=)| Managed to get good views this afternoon. Amazing how easily such a striking bird can disappear into the vegetation. Seemed to be finding plenty of grubs to eat. Given how easily it is to overlook and the low numbers of regular birders I wonder how long it has been there.

How often is the site visited? I only visit at most once a week. How about you others?

Pleased you have seen it David. It seemed to me to be in moult particularly around the eyes and head and the tertials had pale brown tips. Overall colour not so bright as most I've seen. Again on the darker (brownish) side. I suppose I am doing on average 3 visits per week.

Ray

Last edited:
The Great Grey Shrike was showing well and frequently at Arne this afternoon. Seems to be settled in a fairly small area within the reserve. 2 pretty snazzy birds on a weekend "family" visit. Nice one Dorset :t:

Has anything else scarce or rare ever showed up at Longham?

So far, about 150 species have been recorded at Longham Lakes. They include Great Egret, Grey Phalarope, Wood Sandpiper, Bar-tailed Godwit, Black-necked and Slavonian Grebes, Hawfinch, Osprey, Lesser Spotted Woodpecker and Bearded Tit.

Plenty of scarce birds, but not many rarities. However, the big lake was filled only in February this year, so with the increased coverage watch this space.

When the Avonbourne Hoopoe was present I seem to recall some discussion about the race/origin of the bird. From memory, (the?) eastern race is browner and perhaps a tad smaller? As spring birds are the norm, with autumn birds being far rarer, it is quite possible they come from different areas. I can't find anything to back up my recollection though.

When the Avonbourne Hoopoe was present I seem to recall some discussion about the race/origin of the bird. From memory, (the?) eastern race is browner and perhaps a tad smaller? As spring birds are the norm, with autumn birds being far rarer, it is quite possible they come from different areas. I can't find anything to back up my recollection though.

I was also pondering this bird's origin Mark, and figured a lost eastern bird might make more sense. Don't know anything about how they're supposed to vary geographically (HBW anyone?), but thought the Longham bird appeared a lot duller even than the 100 or so eastern birds I saw in China early this spring. Could the browner plumage just be a time of year/age thing?

Just thought I'd drop in and say I saw the Dowitcher at Lodmoor yesterday, lovely views right by the hexagonal shelter thingy where he seemed to have made friends with a snipe. Also a drake Scaup and 1 or 2 "brown" ones in tow with it on the northern channel bits. By 'eck it were a bit parky mind.

Is the hoopy still around at the lakes?

Cheers all.

Longham Hoopoe

I was also pondering this bird's origin Mark, and figured a lost eastern bird might make more sense. Don't know anything about how they're supposed to vary geographically (HBW anyone?), but thought the Longham bird appeared a lot duller even than the 100 or so eastern birds I saw in China early this spring. Could the browner plumage just be a time of year/age thing?

BWP Concise "Individuals of the dark east Palearctic race saturata apparently occur regularly in Sweden in autumn, perhaps as a result of reversed migration, some remaining through winter". Interesting, would like to know more but suspect here is not the correct thread.

Ray

Last edited:
super morning for birds if you were in Weymouth this morning. The Dowitcher and a Great White Egret were at Lodmoor (as well as a few scaup) plus a Glossy Ibis at Radipole.

The Hoopoe was still at Longham at 1.30pm today.
We parked up in Green lane, several birders were just about to drive off, having not seen the Hoopoe, one couple had to drive back to the other side of the M25.
So it did not bode well for us to see it.
It was a pretty cool walk down to the far southern end of the big lake, the wind was blowing and it was starting to cloud up, we then found a lone birder scoping the new small plantation of trees, enclosed with a fence.
We had quite good views, hindered somewhat by the green collars protecting the trunks of the trees.
By the time we had stood trying to take a few digiscoped pictures, my ungloved fingers would work no more, but at least we had seen it, our first in UK. :t:

Malc

http://www.digiscoping.lynandmalc.co.uk

Attachments

• DSCN1842res.jpg
    DSCN1842res.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 57
  • DSCN1852res.jpg
    DSCN1852res.jpg
    376.4 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
Longham Lakes 30 Nov

Hoopoe still showing by plantation 200m to West of pump house (12:15). Watched successfully foraging for food.

Pochard 18; Gadwall 43; Goldeneye 1f on small lake. (No sign of smew).
Little Egret 3
Kingfisher 2 chasing each other around both lakes.

Cold wind and snow showers meant no sign of thrushes. Small pools all around the lakes now frozen. Water level lowered a lot.

Ray

Lodmoor Dowitcher, request for information

Hi all,
I will be passing Lodmoor on Sunday and was thinking of stopping in for the dowitcher if it's still around. As I won't have much time there I was just wondering if there was any useful local information which might help me find it quickly. For example: where to park; where to view from; how long one might have to wait for it; any tips on where else to look if it's not showing etc.

TIA

Adam

Hi all,
I will be passing Lodmoor on Sunday and was thinking of stopping in for the dowitcher if it's still around. As I won't have much time there I was just wondering if there was any useful local information which might help me find it quickly. For example: where to park; where to view from; how long one might have to wait for it; any tips on where else to look if it's not showing etc.

TIA

Adam

Park in Lodmoor car park, it's on the seafront , a pay and display on the town side of the reserve.
Walk back along the path on the roadside to the shelter and it's been showing from there. it's only a 2 minute walk.
If it's not obvious keep looking - it's been quite reliable so far.
Chris

Park in Lodmoor car park, it's on the seafront , a pay and display on the town side of the reserve.
Walk back along the path on the roadside to the shelter and it's been showing from there. it's only a 2 minute walk.
If it's not obvious keep looking - it's been quite reliable so far.
Chris

Thanks for that! Hopefully it will stick around until Sunday.

Dowitcher still there today, apparently with a snipe lots of the time. Also marsh harrier today.
87 med gulls at ferrybridge at lunchtime, bitterly cold in the wind.
Chris

Plenty of snow and very cold at Longham this morning.

However, I saw the Hoopoe, so it has survived the night. It was close to the pumping station on the east side of the large lake this morning.

Too cold to count wildfowl, but plenty of everything. 3 Pintail were on the big lake briefly but flew off. Also the redhead Smew still present and 1 immature Goldeneye.

Good waders, with 40 or so Lapwing, mainly on the island. Also 1 Black-tailed Godwit, 1 Dunlin and at least 10 Snipe. Jack Snipe on the small lake, and I must admit it was doing exactly the same as you had seen, Ray - so many apologies for sounding doubtful.

At least 80 Meadow Pipits around the lakes and a flock of 70 unsettled Skylarks. It was good birding, but the birds themselves will welcome a thaw.

Plenty of snow and very cold at Longham this morning.

Good waders, with 40 or so Lapwing, mainly on the island. Also 1 Black-tailed Godwit, 1 Dunlin and at least 10 Snipe. Jack Snipe on the small lake, and I must admit it was doing exactly the same as you had seen, Ray - so many apologies for sounding doubtful.

No problem Dominic. Would have loved to have been out myself but couldn't get out of the road! But our regular Marsh Tit and a superb male Brambling in the garden made up for it.

A few Skylarks heading for the fields by the Stour but where are all the Redwings and Fieldfares?

Ray

We visited the lakes this afternoon, parked up in Green Lane, as we got out the car there were 3 Redwings feeding on berries, mind you it appeared they were dropping more than they eat.

Lots of Lapwing and as Dominic said, loads of Meadow Pipits, right on the edge of the water.

Didn't see the Hoopoe this time, but pleased to hear it is still ok, what on earth is it feeding on with all this snow.

Attachments

• Meadow-Pipit-res.jpg
    Meadow-Pipit-res.jpg
    371.4 KB · Views: 65
You want Redwings? Here are two that were in my garden and then the neighbour's whitebeam afterwards. Also have had several flocks of Fieldfares over in the last couple of days.

Attachments

• Redwing 1.jpg
    Redwing 1.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 53
  • Redwing 2.jpg
    Redwing 2.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 49

Users who are viewing this thread

Back