• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dove in balcony (1 Viewer)

Angora

Turkey
So, this week two laughing doves made it their habit of getting inside the closed balcony. At first they would just sit on the windowsill and look inside, but then one of them nested. She would sit on the pine needles, straws on the combi boiler while the other dove would bring him more pine needles, straws or grass stalks. She used to fly out of the window when we would cook stuff on the kitchen and leave the nest absent, but now she is on the nest all the time and it looks more like a full fledged nest. The other dove visited her today, but I dont know if he fed her. I put some water in a small glass bowl in the balcony, but she didn't touch it. Should I leave some food out or can its mate find food for her? On google, it says doves eat cracked corn, millet, wheat and bulgur. I don't have most of that stuff at home, but I think they are sold in stores.

Welcome to Birdforum. I would leave her mate to find food for her. Once the eggs have hatched, you could try putting out some millet to help supplement the food.

Bit of an update: we went away for vacation for a 6 days and now there are two squabs(apparently that's the name given to dove chicks) in the nest. Usually mother dove lays on them most of the day, only going out to find food and then feed the babies. However, she has been absent for an hour of so. Is this normal? Can they survive being left alone for this long of a time?

I think they will be ok if they are more than two to three days old. Welcome to this forum and keep us posted!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back