• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Doves Nest (1 Viewer)

lc1mc1

United States
Hi, My name is Lisa and I live in Southern California. Over the last week, I have had the amazing pleasure of watching two doves build their nest right outside my front door on the porch column. I can see them from the front door window. I have been checking on them several times a day. They completed their nest two days ago. They have stayed through visitors coming and going as well as Amazon packages being left on my front door. This morning I saw one dove sitting in the nest and the other dove picking up a twig from the ground. I walked away and then checked on them again 15 minutes later. The nest was gone and nowhere to be found and one cracked egg was on the ground. I was so disheartened. Does anybody know what could have happened? It seems strange that there is no sign of the nest.

IMG_4072.jpeg

Welcome to Birdforum. I'm afraid I have no explanation as to why the nest disappeared.

Hi Lisa and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

How strange and so sad that their breeding attempt has failed so suddenly. Sorry I have no explanation for you though.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.

Hi Lisa and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

How strange and so sad that their breeding attempt has failed so suddenly. Sorry I have no explanation for you though.

I'm sure you will enjoy it here and I look forward to hearing your news.
Thank you for your kind welcome. :)

That's too bad. Maybe some sort of predator tried to raid the nest? A cat could have pulled it down.

They'll probably make a new nest somewhere. If you're lucky, it might be in the same spot.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back