• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dragonflies, Cyprus (1 Viewer)

Andy Adcock

Worst person on Birdforum
Cyprus
Had a short walk around some local fields, very hot and dry but I found a few bits so would be grateful of any ID help.

First three no clue but, blue lower eyes should narriw the first down to just two species I think?

Broad Scarlet (ignore my label) and Keeled Skimmer for the other two?

Attachments

• Red-veined......jpg
    Red-veined......jpg
    837.5 KB · Views: 22
  • No idea.jpg
    No idea.jpg
    924.2 KB · Views: 18
  • No idea 2.jpg
    No idea 2.jpg
    783.3 KB · Views: 19
  • Red-veined Darter.jpg
    Red-veined Darter.jpg
    776.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Skimmer.jpg
    Skimmer.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
#1 & #3 are S. fonscolombi Red-veined Darter
#2 is S. striolatum Common Darter
#4 is correct Broad Scarlet
#5 looks like O. brunneum Southern Skimmer to me!

Shane

#1 & #3 are S. fonscolombi Red-veined Darter
#2 is S. striolatum Common Darter
#4 is correct Broad Scarlet
#5 looks like O. brunneum Southern Skimmer to me!

Shane
I considered that briefly, but surely we are looking at a large yellow pterostigma and not a small brown one? Plus, I'm only seeing that single row of cells below Rspl, not two.

John

I considered that briefly, but surely we are looking at a large yellow pterostigma and not a small brown one? Plus, I'm only seeing that single row of cells below Rspl, not two.

John
I was going by Dijkstra who defines the colour of the frons as diagnostic for O. coerulescens and it is never pale blue! Also, the markings on top of the thorax look better for O. brunneum.

Shane

I was going by Dijkstra who defines the colour of the frons as diagnostic for O. coerulescens and it is never pale blue! Also, the markings on top of the thorax look better for O. brunneum.

Shane
Funnily enough so was I (Dijkstra 2006 illus Lewington), but (and I recognise the strong light is a problem) I don't see a pale blue frons. Shadow at the side but basically white. Same light issue arises with the thorax markings but the cells are structural and the colour and size of the pterostigma are also hard to argue with.

John

Funnily enough so was I (Dijkstra 2006 illus Lewington), but (and I recognise the strong light is a problem) I don't see a pale blue frons. Shadow at the side but basically white. Same light issue arises with the thorax markings but the cells are structural and the colour and size of the pterostigma are also hard to argue with.

John
Great minds think alike but again quoting Dijkstra 2nd edition 2020, the pterostigma should not be used as an indication of identity as it is not fully reliable! I am not saying it is not O. coerulescens but on balance of the features showing it looks more like O. brunneum to me.

Shane

1. Violet Dropwing (Trithemis annulata) female [black legs, no black down side of frons, pattern on side of abdomen]
2. Common Darter (Sympetrum striolatum) female
3. Southern Skimmer (Orthetrum brunneum) immature male
4. Scarlet Darter / Broad Scarlet
5. Southern Skimmer (Orthetrun brunneum male)

I've adjusted the photos (1,2,3 and 5) to bring down the highlights which makes it easier

Attachments

• andy_1.jpg
    andy_1.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 14
  • andy_2.jpg
    andy_2.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 13
  • andy_3.jpg
    andy_3.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 10
  • andy_5.jpg
    andy_5.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 13
I’ve got a (maybe stupid) question about the posture of the Violet Dropwing in the first photo: It seems like Dropwings are the only dragonflies I have ever seen photos of in this posture (I haven‘t seen a a dropwing in real life yet). Is this just a coincidence or could it be used as an ID feature?

I’ve got a (maybe stupid) question about the posture of the Violet Dropwing in the first photo: It seems like Dropwings are the only dragonflies I have ever seen photos of in this posture (I haven‘t seen a a dropwing in real life yet). Is this just a coincidence or could it be used as an ID feature?
Not a stupid question at all David, but the answer is no I'm afraid! I have seen Darters posing like this, it is used to combat high temperatures.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back