• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Duck at local pool with droopy wings. (1 Viewer)

sebbo1

Hello,

On my travels today feeding my duck and goose chums, one duck came along with very droopy wings. I've had a quick search on Google and the only thing I can find that matches so far is something to do with blood feathers, however I have never seen this before so wondered if it is more likely something nefarious.

He kept trying to tuck them in as a duck normally would, but didn't seem to be able to do so. Like an elderly person walking home with 2 bags of shopping that are a little heavy.

He didn't seem in any distress, just constantly trying to tuck them in. It was very adorable in a way to watch him, I just hope it isn't anything nasty.

He was one of the few brave little guys to come over and eat from my hand though, which I really loved. I have named him, rather aptly, 'Droopy Wing Duck'.

Apologies for the image quality, they were taken on my mobile.

Attachments

• IMG_20210804_162529664_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20210804_162529664_HDR.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210804_162548018.jpg
    IMG_20210804_162548018.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20210804_162554461_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    IMG_20210804_162554461_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 12
Hi Sebbo

My best guess is that it's either broken, or a condition known as 'angel wing'. Though I'm not sure what causes that.

If you can catch him, a trip to a local rehabber or vet would help him.

Hi Delia,

I did see some images about Angel Wing, but thought that was more for outward/upward turned wings.

Hopefully they aren't broken, I'm not sure what would cause that. He didn't seem in any way distressed though.

Sadly, even if I could catch him, I don't drive so it would mean walking home for 15 minutes carrying a duck which would get me some pretty strange looks I'm sure :LOL:

There is a wildlife place I have called a couple of times previously when I saw a swan with a poorly leg, and a duckling that was completely on its own, but not sure if they would do much, and I wouldn't really be able to hang around for hours waiting for them to come out to show them where the duck in question is, sadly.

I'd also be very wary of hurting him by catching him as I wouldn't be able to do so without handling his wings and would not want to cause him any further issues or pain, if it is indeed broken wings, and furthermore I also wouldn't really know what to do for the best if I took him home and got them to come and collect him from there.

I guess it is more of a curiosity thing as to why I asked, and I should accept that these are wild animals and it is just nature, but I have really grown to love these guys over the last 15 months.

Warning! This thread is more than 3 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back